Chapter 7

Ashlyn was discharged from the hospital and was put under a close eye. At work, she was under even a closer eye. Nathan found out that Jason had been let out of jail a couple months ago and was last seen near Los Angeles. One night, the tones went off for a really big structure fire at a motel.

Once the station arrived, they went straight to work. Ashlyn put Jason in the back of her mind. "Tanner. Gage. I need you two to go check inside for victims," Adam said getting out of the rig.

"Yes sir," they both said before turning to leave.

"Oh and Gage," he said as Ashlyn turned her head, "stay safe." Ashlyn nodded and followed Nathan to the building. They stopped by the squad to get their gear then headed inside. Inside, the fire was a raging beast.

"Fire department!" Ashlyn yelled as she searched for any sign of life. Nathan tapped her on the shoulder.

"You search over here. I'll go search the other side." Ashlyn nodded and trudged on. Ashlyn heard something coming from one of the rooms at the end. As she neared, the sound grew louder, but it was incoherent.

"Fire department! Is there anyone in here?" she yelled. No answer. She yelled again. All of a sudden, her leg went through the floor. She cried out in pain. "Nathan! I'm down!" Nathan barely heard her cry for help but came running anyway.

"What happened?" he asked once he saw Ashlyn halfway through the floor.

"I heard something in that room. As I was walking to get to it, the floor caved in, and well, you see what happened next. Now, will you help me? This isn't a very comfortable position," she said holding out her hands. Nathan grabbed them and helped her get up.

"Anything hurt?"

"No. I think it just scratched me. I'm going to check out that room before we leave. I swear I heard something," Ashlyn said turning the knob of the door. She peeked inside then opened the door all the way open.

On the ground laid a girl about thirteen. Ashlyn squatted down to pick up the girl. Nathan helped Ashlyn take the girl down to the squad. Ashlyn held her as they ran down the long staircase. As they were running, a bullet whizzed pass Ashlyn's head and into the wall. "Whoa! What was that?" she asked looking at the wall. Nathan practically pushed her down the stairs when he saw the bullet hole. Outside, they went straight to work on the girl. The girl's mother ran to them with tears.

"You found my baby! Oh thank you!" she yelled. As soon as she yelled that, the press that was there swarmed Ashlyn and Nathan.

"Brings back memories?" Nathan whispered as he bandaged the girl's arm.

"Yup," Ashlyn said as she started an IV. Soon, the girl was on her way to Rampart.
@@@@@
Two Hours Later...
"I can't believe I was shot at! I mean they barely missed my head!" Ashlyn said in shock once Nathan told her what it was that hit the wall.

"That's why I pushed you out the door," he said as he backed the squad into the station.

"Nathan. Ashlyn. You all have some visitors!" someone yelled from the kitchen. Nathan and Ashlyn looked at each other with a weird expression. When they walked around the corner, they were blinded by the press again. Everyone else was laughing at them. Finally, the cameras stopped long enough for Ashlyn and Nathan to regain eye sight.

"Why are you here?" Ashlyn asked as soon as she could see.

"We're all here to interview the heroes. Haven't you seen the paper yet?" one of the reporters asked. They handed Ashlyn a newspaper with her and Nathan working on the girl on the front. In big bold letters it read, "HEROES SAVE THIRTEEN YEAR OLD FROM FIRE AFTER GETTING SHOT AT". Ashlyn rolled her eyes then let Nathan see it too. He had the same reaction.

"Now I know how mom felt," Ashlyn said to herself.

"Excuse me, Miss, what's your last name?" Ashlyn looked at Nathan to see what to do. He just shrugged.

"Some help you are," she mouthed to him, "My last name is Gage." That's when they went wild. Nathan thought it was enough so he grabbed Ashlyn by the arm and pulled her away from the crowd. Adam got the message and started to make everyone leave. Nathan let go of Ashlyn. "Ow. A little heads up next time!" Ashlyn said rubbing her arm.

"Oh I didn't grab you that hard," Nathan said teasingly. Ashlyn rolled her eyes.

"Why did you yank me out of there like that?"

"In case Jason or whoever is trying to kill you decides to read the newspaper, he would find out where you live. That would probably be one of the next questions," Nathan said with a chuckle at the end. Ashlyn nodded. Adam came in as they finished talking.

"I finally got them out of here. They were wanting your address," he laughed.

"Did you give it to them?" Ashlyn asked with fear.

"Oh yes, Ashlyn. I told the whole world where you live with a creep out there trying to hunt you down. You still owe me an explanation with that," Adam said sarcastically at first. Ashlyn lowered her head and started to fiddle with her hands. Nathan saw what she was doing and stood up for her.

"Why don't we worry on catching him rather than the reason why? I come from a place where we do what we're asked of and ask questions later," Nathan said getting protective.

"Okay. Just when you're ready, please let me in on it," Adam said turning to leave.

"Protective much? It's not that big of a deal. I have to face it one day. No matter how much I don't want to. I've got to," Ashlyn said smiling. Nathan smiled back at her remark. "Is it my turn to cook tonight?"

"I'm pretty sure if you wanted to cook, they would let you," Nathan said laughing. Just then, Amy walked pass them.

"Hey, Ashlyn, what's for supper? We're starved." Ashlyn and Nathan bursted out laughing. Amy gave them a questioning look but was interrupted by the tones going off.