Chapter 19 - Is there someone behind me?

By the time I return home, it’s late I enter as quietly as possible, just in case Molly’s home. I had an awesome catching up session with Tiffany. My memories of when she told me about her past being triggered as soon as I walked into her house.

“Have fun?” Drake asks lounging on the sofa.

“Yeah, I did actually. Tiffany’s really nice.”

“Sure,” he scoffs, “look, it’s late I just came to give you your phone, some guy called Nick keeps ringing. Molly, won’t be coming to school tomorrow, she’s not well.”

“I’ll let her rest then, what’s wrong with her?”

“She was just feeling a little under the weather, rest is all she needs.”

Odd. Molly looked perfectly fine yesterday – I wonder what could have happened?

Instead of questioning him, I let it go thinking of all the possibilities of why Nick could have called. I head upstairs whilst dialling him but only get to voicemail. Too tired to keep ringing I send him a quick text then get ready for bed.

By morning I’ve received a text telling me I’ve got an appointment with the doctor at 5. Appointment or not, I’m going to be seeing Nick again. Time has slowed to snails pace just because Life knows I’d rather be somewhere else right now.

I’m out of school the minute the bell rings, making a bee line for the train station. An hour later I’m in Manchester. I can’t help but skip in my haste to get to Tony’s which is where I presume we’re meeting.

Just as I’m outside the café, I see Nick waiting by a black cab.

“Come on, we don’t want to be late.”

“Do I actually have an appointment?”

“Of course,” he smirks, ”and I have some news.”

“Which is?” I ask, excitement bubbling up inside me, before I can quash it. He could want to tell me anything. Good or bad.

“It’s a surprise.” He winks.

I sigh, knowing I won’t be able to get anything out of him now. Getting Nick to talk is like drawing blood from stone.

The rest of the car ride is silent as we drive to somewhere I’ve never been before. It looks like the outskirts, we take a small side street in what seems like nothing but fields.

Nick pays the driver and waits until he’s nothing but a dot in the distance. He walks towards a narrow dirt track, concealed by the branches of the small woods beside it. It could easily be mistaken as part of the woods. We walk through in silence, the trail spanning across several different fields. After what seems like hours we reach a fenced off field, with a wrought iron gate. Nick pushes the gate and walks straight across the fields to the west.