Chapter 21- The Overly Eventful Weekend - part 1

“Do you think it could be a coincidence?”  I ask.

“I don’t believe in them,” he replies, staring at the screen.

“Neither do I, although I’m not sure how the two things could be related. Wait, where’s that article?” I re read the article several times knowing that I’m missing something.

The article doesn’t make sense.

It’s missing something.

If only I could figure out what, I hate it when this happens, you know something but at the same time, you don’t know it too. Does that even make sense? Either way it drives me crazy knowing but not knowing.

Ugh.

If only someone –

Wait.

That’s it!

The article is missing someone, it’ missing Rebecca. Surely they would have included a sentence or two about her missing status.

I inform Caspian of my break through,  “but how do they relate to each other?” He asks, inputting Rebecca’s information into the missing persons database.

“Rebecca and Drake used to date, and a while into their relationship she started changing, saying weird things, not wearing make up, changing the way she dressed the way she acted. And she ran away then too, Tiffany’s mum and dad started accusing the Pasqualis of doing something to their daughter. Influencing her somehow. I’m not sure how, but the Moore’s were offered a job and were on their way to check it out that’s when the accident happened.”

“Makes no sense, let’s say, hypothetically, that the Pasqualis kidnapped the girl or at least persuaded her to run away. Why would they do that? Also, if they were behind the car accident, what would their motives be?”

“Unless the killed the parents because they were questioning her disappearance too much? What if this is bigger than trading in animal skins? What if it’s –“

“Human trafficking?” Caspian finishes off for me.

“Yeah,” I whisper softly, wondering what this mission had become. Or what it was becoming.

One thing was for sure though, there was no backing out, if this was human trafficking there was no way in hell I was stepping away from this. There was also no way in hell the Pasqualis would let me, an abrupt departure would only raise suspicions.

The silence in the room stretched out, each of us lost in out own thoughts, until it became suffocating.

“Let’s go for a walk,” I suggest, the need for fresh air overwhelming all of a sudden.