Chapter 13

TINSLEY

The next day passes by in a blur. It's spent in the hospital waiting for news about Chibs. The guys are constantly in and out, dealing with club business and trying to cover up the explosion.

Gemma and I are the only constant figures in the waiting room. We take turns entertaining Abel and making runs for food and coffee.

Jax shows up shortly after we finish lunch. He grabs Abel from my lap and gives me a quick kiss before taking the seat next to me. "Any news?"

I shake my head. "He's still in critical but stable condition."

"Alright." Jax nods, trying to distract himself by blowing on Abel's hair and watching it flutter around.

"You, ok?" I ask, placing a hand on his knee.

Unser walks in and when he sees Jax he asks to speak to Gemma alone. They get up, heading in the direction of the chapel and Jax doesn't even seem to notice.

"Babe?"

Jax gives me a sad look. "This shit can't keep happening. You in danger, the club being attacked, this beef with Clay. Times are changing Tins, maybe it's time I get out while I still can."

"Jax." I pause, not knowing what to say. I'm shocked to even hear him think about leaving the club. "Don't worry about me. Focus on stopping whoever's targeting SAMCRO and then making things right with Clay."

"You're my number one, you know that. All this other shit comes second." He says.

Gemma returns without Unser. "We got problems." She tells me.

I turn away from her son and send her a look that clearly says 'not now.'

Luckily Jax doesn't seem to think anything is out of the ordinary; he stands, handing Abel over. "I gotta get back to the compound. I'll be late tonight, don't wait up." He says, kissing me on the cheek.

Jax doesn't wait for me to respond before leaving the hospital.

"He looks stressed." Gemma says.

I grab my forehead and shake my head. "He is." I rub my eyes, trying to get rid of the exhaustion.

"Well we got our own shit to worry about." She whispers.

"What now?" I ask with a sigh.

Gemma takes the seat she was previously in and leans toward me. "Hale knows the truth."

"How?" I frown.

"Unser couldn't keep his damn mouth shut." She hisses.

This is the last thing I want to be dealing with right now. "Gemma, I'm sure he won't say anything to Clay or Jax right away, let's just calm down and take this day by day. But you do know we're going to have to tell them at some point. If they find out what happened from someone other than us, we're screwed."

She nods, knowing I'm right.

We spend the rest of the day in the waiting room of St. Thomas. I don't hear a word from Jax and when visiting hours come to an end, I'm anxious.

We're walking out to the parking lot when Gemma brings it up. "You heard from Jax?"

"Not since he left at lunchtime. You haven't heard from Clay, have you?" I know the answer before she even responds.

"We shouldn't worry." She says. "I'm sure everything's fine." But she doesn't look convinced.

It's almost midnight when the phone rings, I'm laying in bed wide awake and bolt up to answer it before the sound wakes Abel.