The Whisperers Of The Woods

Hi everybody! How are you? I hope you like to read one more chapter of my story. If you like it let me know by comment, vote and rate. Add this book too if you wish :D See you soon! :D  

Ana Ribeiro

**********************************************************

We see the door closing in front of our eyes and I decide to give José 5 minutes of advance before I take my place ahead of Caminho da Castanheira, in the Caleirão Woods, where I live my night hours.

I embrace tight Lili who looks at me with dispair for not know how to help me ease my frustration and my sort of pain for José's words to me. Why should I feel that way? So weird.

It's not like I'm cheating on him, but clearly he felt like I was doing that. Could Lili be right? Or is he just butthurted that he got shot by one of my arrows in the leg because I got sloppy for supposedly dating someone?

For sure he is a very, very, very responsible person. As much respected as Lili in Gondar. It's not easy to match someone so used to stress about everything and everything must be perfect and in place for him.

But I managed to convince him I was really good with the bow. People in Gondar had many problems with the fires every Summer in the woods, specially Caleirão Woods. Last year I was not there to help finding the responsibles for those crimes and one person got surrounded by the flames and couldn't resist the catastrophe.

The damages were done, but this woods are blessed for sure, the burnt area is getting up slowly, but it is getting up. I will make sure the Woods one day can be powerfully green again.

José found himself interested in my skills and my wish to help protect the woods. That was the reason why he helps me and helped me last year with the Gondar people to accept me and my strange methods. I owe him that actually.

I'm still Naíta for the people here since I was a kid, but a more weird version.

When I arrived last year they thought I was up to something not that good. They never saw me during daylight. But everyone could see me follow the way to the woods at night, or Lili's house, but never got contact with anyone else.

To not draw unnecessary attention to myself I follow the tip from Lili: socializing a bit and using my skills to help the comunity.

For more remote and small Gondar could be, the woods can be a decoy to all type of criminals. It is like a lurk for them. People is getting terrified by the night assaults specially since a lot of portuguese emigrants built big villas around the small trails of Gondar, surrounded by the woods in one side and corn plantations by the other.

Who would knew? This peacefull piece of land is as perfect to live a healthy life as can be a nest to dangerous people. The people most in need here has been left alone for now, but there are rumors young girls among them have been lured to work outside of the country, but they almost don't contact their families.

The only thing I can think of is slavery work, or worse. I've been all ears but they know very well the "business". And they've avoided this woods to do the meetings. And I'm the responsible for that. Because I'm always there and I'm prepared.

The fact that I can merge so well with nature and I don't need artificial lights to see at night, it complicates a lot their efforts to catch me. Many tried for fun or getting me out of the woods, by threatning me or really trying to kill me, but without success.

So "their" place was taken by me. In the Summer I have the fire criminals to deal with. But my presence is very umpleasant for them anytime of the year... For the ones I call the Whisperers.