Chapter XXXV

-Jeramiah Bate's P.O.V-

"Am I late?"

Avery yelled from afar already rushing to me. Her cheeks were flaming and her purse were hitting her on the side as she ran to me and I caught her in my arms.

"Careful!"

I giggled. She almost slipped on some milkshake spilled on the ground right next to the grand entrance of the park. Amusement park.

"Thanks. Am I though?"

It was two minutes after ten, it was not polite to say that she was late, because she kind of wasn't. But of course, I had a car and she had to walk her. Now I wanted to slap myself, how stupid it was not to offer her a ride with me instead of just letting her walk all the way. What a gentleman I am.

"No, don't worry. Let's go, the ride is about to start."

I saw her throw a suspicious glance at me as I grabbed her hand dragged towards Ferris wheel.

"You're not expecting me to step in THAT?"

She pointed at one of the Ferris wheel's cabins horrified.

"You're not expecting me to step in THAT?"

I smiled and shook my head.

I shook my head and smiled. It, the memories, came back at the worst moment possible, why everything about Avery reminded me of Melissa. Her moves, her looks, her talking manner, even her words, they were exactly the same. Like the history decided to repeat itself.

"I wouldn't expect you to leave me alone..."

I said to her hopping on. She looked around and grabbed stronger on to her purse, she was pressing the handles so hard her knuckled got all white.

"You better be nice to me or I might go crazy."

She said sighting and finally giving me a hand so I could help her get in.

The ride was going pretty great, I could feel Avery pressing my hand with her fingers, using all her mighty power. I grinned to myself. Not again, but I was helpless against those memories. She was too similar to what I couldn't forget.

"Jeramiah, are you listening?"

I shook my head after I finally heard something. Avery was looking at me, frowning, the concern was reflecting in her eyes. For how long have I been so, conscious, but not really there?

"Sorry, what?"

She understandingly grinned and pressed my hand once more.

"Her name is Melissa right?"

My eyes were searching for any kind of joke hid under the fragile eyes of hers. I couldn't find any.

"Whose name is Melissa?"

Wow, Jeramiah, wow.

"The girls that you can't forget."

Avery friendly reminded me, she encouraged me to speak, to tell what was in my head under millions of layers hidden for years and years.

"Melissa Ruiz, but..."

"But how do I know?" She nodded at me. And I showed my agreement. "Firstly, I heard you say her name at the nurse's office, right after I saw you being caught up in your mind. It wasn't hard to add one plus one, besides you always seem to be far away."

Her words hit me. Slayed me like swords, healed me like mother's embrace. She knew and she didn't judge me. After all I was spending time with her, but thinking about someone else. Selfish bastard...

"My princess, you're right, I can't forget her."

She let go of my hand and looked out the cabin's window. I followed her stare, she was looking at the top of television's antenna. The place where all connections were connected. Just like my life's puzzle pieces was about to be glued together.

"What happened, did she... leave?"

I wanted to say that it probably would have been easier if she just had left me, moved on, you know. That would mean she was somewhere, in the world that I lived in, maybe having her life without me, but she would still be there, probably happy, and that would have been enough.

But the place she went to, no one could come back from there.

"In some way, she did."

Her eyes widened, Avery understood what I was trying to say. I was glad that she caught up with my words so fast, or I wouldn't be able to explain.

"I'm so sorry."

Her voice was shaking from sadness, she never met her, she didn't know the girl, and she barely had information even about me, but she cared. Just like Melissa used to do. Was the world testing me? Giving me another chance to live the life I wanted with the girl I loved, just so the cruel circumstances could take it all away. Again.

"You know, you remind me of her."

She grinned. I don't know how I would have felt either if some girl said to me that I reminded her of her dead love.

"Is that a good thing?"

I nodded my head. Maybe I wouldn't be able to take another bullet just like the first one and loose Avery like I lost Melissa, but if the world or whatever was giving me an opportunity... I wasn't about to waste it.

"You're not just like my princess."

I said grabbing her chin carefully, her eyes filled with tears and I almost gasped. Maybe it wasn't the right thing to say.

"I can't stand in her place."

She sighted and the first tear fell on her cheek. I wiped it off and leaned with our lips almost touching.

"You are my queen."

I ended the sentence with a kiss.

Win^S

How is the story going? Do you have any thoughts about the plot? Please leave them in the comments!!! Love ya ♥♥♥

TheBabelle