Chapter VIII

-Avery McCoy's P.O.V-

The day was going just great and peaceful. I couldn't get the stupid grin off of my face. Colby glanced at me and pretended to check if I didn't have a fever. I pushed away his hand, which he jokingly put on my forehead to see if I wasn't burning up.

I was not, I just felt extremely happy, or should I say excited? Just a day ago I couldn't imagine talking to a guy that wouldn't remind me of the heart break I experienced. But now it was easier than ever. Of course, Devan decided to show up at that moment like on some sort of schedule. My grin quickly disappeared, he had a huge smirk on his face.

"Good morning."

He greeted me and casually sat down on the chair near my desk. I silently sat down too without looking away from him. I wanted to look away badly, but I just couldn't break the eye contact.

"What are you doing here?"

I asked coldly and he opened his mouth to answer my question, but Colby was quicker.

"What do you think you're doing here?"

He was carrying a list of books we still needed to check on. Today he had his glasses on and to be honest I was scared for a moment that Devan will start making fun of him. Colby was definitely an intimidating guy, but even I could see that the moment he puts on his glasses, the nerd comes out.

"It's none- "He stopped and glared at me. But I was expecting for him to be rude, so no shock were visible on my face. "It's the library isn't it?" His voice changed and became way softer, it surprised me. "Anyone can come here."

I nodded. If he wanted to read, knock yourself out, but as long as he will stay away from me. Devan was making me feel more and more uncomfortable second by second. How could I ever have fell for that idiot?

"Keep it down."

I said to him and sighted. Few disappointed readers awarded three of us with unsatisfied stares. I quietly apologized.

"I didn't come here to read." He seriously warned me and pulled his chair closer to my desk. I unintentionally backed up a little and rage flamed up in his eyes for few seconds, Devan quickly got the control over it and spoke softly again. "I am going to work here."

I thought I was going to faint. Library was my own little palace. Only people with same interest came here and it didn't disturb me even a little bit, I was sure that no one like Devan will ever walk in here, because they simply weren't interested.

But now the circle of life, the way it always was and it should have been just got punched in the face. Now I was forced to hang out with my ex best friend slash ignorant asshole slash my first crush, almost every single day. Does world have no mercy?

"Who told you that?"

"She did."

He pointed at someone behind me and I turned around only to see Missis Clayton walking towards us, some tall guy with piercing and leather jacket, who definitely looked like he didn't belong here, was following our main librarian.

"Missis Clayton! Good morning."

I greeted her and bowed a bit. I heard Devan chuckle from the other side of the desk, but as I glanced at him, he hid the smile under his palm and looked away. His eyes met the guy's following the librarian eyes and suddenly he became all serious.

I could see with a corner of my eye how he stepped forwards and got closer to me. My body shook without my permission after seeing his actions. Crazy things were going on in my mind, I couldn't focus at all. He was too close, after too much time.

"Good morning Avery."

She sweetly smiled and for a moment I calmed down completely. This woman was so nice all of that time, and most importantly she was smart. So that meant she would see right through Devan and would never let him work here, unless... unless he convinced her, with his charms, with his fake angelic appearance.

"Avery?"

The guy behind her whispered slash mumbled and I peeked at him. He was looking at me too and I quickly got back to holding an eye contact with missis Clayton, I was blushing like crazy. Who's that guy?

"Oh, I almost forgot, have you seen Colby he has to help me carry some stuff and Ross can't..."

Her expression changed as Devan stepped in. He politely smiled to her and put his hand on my shoulder protectively. I couldn't just stand there and let him do as pleased so I tried to shake his hand off, but it seemed like he used super glue or something. I remaind still until he finally took his hand off after finishing what he had to say.

"I will help Missis Clayton. I can be useful."

I wanted to laugh at his overacted attempts to seem a good boy.

"Pfff... yeah right."

Ross sarcastically commented, he probably though that either no one is going to hear him or he intended to make everyone stare at him, but anyways, everyone just pierced him with their eyes. Main librarian was judging him and resisting the urge to slap him right away, Devan looked like he wanted to punch him too, but I was the only one, who had to look away in order to hide the stupid grin. I agreed with the guy one hundred percent.

"Ross, if you don't have anything smart to say, don't say anything at all."

Missis Clayton scolded him.

"Listen to your mother."

Devan added and crossed his arm on the chest. He had this obvious I-am-older expression on his face. But he didn't seem older or brainier.

"Mother?"

I accidentally let my curiosity show and had to face palm myself.

"Oh, Avery, you haven't met Ross?"

I shook my head answering to Ross's mother's question.

"Ross Clayton, I'm the right hand of my mother here."

I looked at him in disbelief. First of all, just like Devan he looked like he never held a book in his hands, second for as long as I worked here I never saw him walking sitting, reading, absolutely doing anything in library. And lastly, who was I then, huh? A mouse of the library?

"You won't appear better than you are Ross."

Devan hissed. It was really mean of him to say, even thought I didn't like that the guy thought so good about himself. Anyone seemed like better choice of the company than Devan.

"Mind your own business."

Two guys leaned in throwing lightning bolts at one another. Neither one of them addressed the fact that there was quite the few people here, including one of theirs mother.

"GOT7, always stays true to themselves."

Missis Clayton sighted stepping in between two outrageous guys. Wait, what did she just say? Is Ross one of them? One of Devan's minions?

Hey reader!!! How is the story so far? Tell me in the comments! And don't forget to vote if you like what you see, your thoughts mean the world to me! Silent reader kills authors! Love ya ♥♥♥

TheBabelle