Chapter 10

Hello guys!! Look who decided to make an appearance. Yep its me. I know its been 7 months since I updated and I'm terribly sorry for that. A lot has been going on in my life it's just too hectic. But now I'm back with an update. I really hope you guys forgive me for such a long delay. Have fun reading it.

Chapter 10:

"Chachi(Aunty)...I missed you so much. Why did you leave me after Rajeev chachu(uncle) left us?" Sanjana asked still clinging onto Kriya.

All Kriya could do was inhale long breath and hope for the best. Kriya pulled back Sanjana and bent down. "How have you been?" She asked the little girl.

"I'm fine. But I miss you a lot. You know Kaira was the one whom I always wanted you to meet."

Sanjana was Rajeev's niece. Even though she used to live with him and his family, due to some reason or the other she never got the chance to meet Sanjana's friends. She was worried about the volcano that would erupt in a moment or two. On sensing the seriousness of the environment Rey spoke "Kaira, take Sanjana and others to your room."

Kaira being an understanding child obeyed her father and left along with her friends. Once the little girls disappeared the commotion began.

"Kriya yeh Rajeev kaun hai and aapka kya sambandh hai uske saath?" (Kriya, whose Rajeev and what relation do you have with him?) Dadi bua asked fiercely.

"Vo...vo...Mere pehle husband the. Unki death ek saal pehle huyi thi."(He was my first husband. He died a year back.) Kriya spoke nervously. She felt weak in her nerves. This was a big blow for dadi bua. Upon knowing that Kriya was a widow her anger crossed all the bounds.

"Kab huya tha yeh?"(When did this happen?) She asked flaring her nostrils.

"Humari shaadi ke eight months baad." (It happened eight moths after our marriage.)This was it. The old lady turned towards Preeti and yelled "Aapka dimag kharab tha kya jo ek vidwa ke saath mere Rey ka rishta jod diya. Iss ki kundli dekhi thi ki ni?"(Have you lost it? How could you choose a widow as Rey's wife? Did you not check her horoscope?)

Preeti nodded a no regarding the kundli thing. Being the superstitious woman that she is, she began profanities. "Kya! Ab toh lagta hai ki iske vajah se hi iske pehle pati ki maut huyi hogi. Isne zaroor koi paap kiya hoga pichle janam mein." (Now, I guess she's the reason her ex-husband died soon after their marriage. She must have done some wrong deeds in the past). This was enough to make Kriya weak. Tears started streaming down her cheeks.

These taunts weren't new for her. After Rajeev's death few of his relatives and other people including his mother termed her the reason behind Rajeev's death. They taunted her to every extent making her feel miserable. After few months everything was fine. But now hearing these words again made her feel worse.

Rey, who was standing next to her, saw the tears flowing. In an instant he wrapped his arm around her and pulled her close trying to comfort her. Kriya gripped his shirt and dug her face in his chest as the tears continued to pour down.

"Bua dadi please stop. Aaj kal ke zamane mein aisa kuch nahi hota. Aapko problem is baat se hai na ki Kriya ek widow hai. Agar aisa hai toh mein aapko yeh yaad dila du ki meri bhi pehle shaadi huyi thi Payal ke saath and meri wife ki bhi death huyi thi. Iska matlab yeh toh nahi ki meine Payal ko maara hia? Aapko Kriya ko thanks bolna chahiye ki usne mujhe Kaira ke saath accept kiya. Nahi toh kaunsi ladki ek 5 years ki bachi ko mom banna pasand karti." (Bua Dadi please stop. Nothing of such sort happens these days. You have a problem with Kriya being a widow, don't you? Then let me remind you, I'm a widower as well. My first wife Payal died but does that mean that I'm the reason behind it? You should be grateful to Kriya for accepting me along with Kaira, 'cause no woman, a widow or not, would want to be a mother to a five year old girl who isn't her own daughter.) Rey defended Kriya. Kriya looked up and blinked her eyes expressing his gratitude.

"Wo sab hume nahi pata. Agar iski vajah se aap ko kuch huya na toh mujhse bura koi nahi hoga." (I don't care about that. But if at all anythings happens to you then nobody can stop me from blaming this girl.) Saying this dadi bua left.

Composing herself, Kriya went to the kitchen and grabbing two trays, she proceeded towards Kaira's room plastering a smile on her face.

"Hello kids, see what I brought." She said trying to sound cheerful.

"Wow pasta and milkshake." Both Kaira and Sanjana exclaimed with joy.

"Chachi (Aunty) you are the best." Sanjana said kissing her cheek. Kaira didn't like wee bit of it.

Though she had a plate full of pasta in her hand but not even a bit of it had gone into her mouth. She didn't like the way Sanjana was sticking onto her mother. Kriya noticed a change in Kaira's behavior.

"Honey, what's wrong?" Kriya asked her.

"Am I your daughter?" Kaira asked in return surprising her.

"Of course you are. Why would ask that?"

"Then why are you giving all your attention to Sanjana?"

"Aww, my baby is upset for that?"

"Yes, and I'm angry."

"Are you still angry?" She asked holding her ears whispering a sorry.

"Yes."

"Okay, I see." Kriya put the plate aside and started tickling her. "Mo...mommy...st..stop...ple...please" Kaira said in between her laughter.

"I will but only if you forgive me."

"I'm not angry anymore. Now please stop."

"That's like my good girl. You girls carry on, I'll be back." Saying this Kriya left. Rey who was observing all this followed her.

"Thanks Kriya." Rey said from behind scaring her for a moment.

"Thanks for what?"

"Thank you for lightening up Kaira's mood and handling all the things with patience."

"For your information Kaira is my daughter too and cheering up her is my responsibility as well." Kriya replied with an authoritative smile.

"And it's me who should be thanking you for being there with me when I needed support." She further continued.

"I though we're friends. And friends are always there for each other." As soon as these words escaped his mouth their eyes locked against each other. Their short eye lock was broken by bua dadi.

"Hume Kriya se kuch baat karni hai." (I need to talk to Kriya.)She announced. Giving an assuring look to Kriya, Rey left the room.

"Kuch kaam tha dadi bua?" (Is there something I can help you with?)

"Ha. Aapke aur Rey ke beech kya rishta hai?" (Yes. What is the status of your relation with Rey.)

"Hum dono dost hai." (We're friends) Kria replied honestly.

"Ek pati aur patni kabhi dost nahi ho sakte. Aapki kundli dekhi humne and usme bahut kuch ulta seedha tha aur hume darr hai iss ki wajah se humare Rey ko kuch na ho jaye." (A husband and wife can never be friends. I've seen your horoscope and there are a lot of faults in it. And I'm worried something might happen to Rey because of you.)

"Bua dadi meri wajah se Rey ko kuch nahi hoga trust me." (Bua dadi, nothing will happen to Rey. Trust me)

"Theek hai...hum aap par bahrosa karte hai. Hum yeh bhi maan lenge ki aap Rey ko dil se apna pati maanti hai agar aap 3 mahine ke andar hume khush khabari suna de toh." (Alright, I trust you. I will also believe that you truly consider Rey as your husband if you give a good news in three months.)

"Kya??" (What???) Kriya asked in disbelief.

"Soch li jiye iss baare mein. Aur ha Rey ko iss baare mein kuch nahi pata chalna chahiye." (Think about it. Make sure Rey doesn't get to know about it.)Saying this she left leaving behind an astound Kriya.

So how many haters has bua dadi gathered? ;) I hope you guys liked. Don't forget to hit that star and leave your reviews.

~~Maneet.