t h i r t e e n

Draco

I rushed out of Elizabeth's dormitory, out of the common room, down the  hallway, up a couple flights of stairs, and down another long hallway in the direction of Slughorn's office.

I approached his door and I pounded furiously on it, praying that he was inside and that he hadn't already told Dumbledore that I had given him the poisoned mead.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" Slughorn said from behind the door.

I breathed a quick sign of relief as the heavy door swung open. Slughorn stood there and when he saw me, an angry expression crossed his face.

"Just the person I was looking to find. You're coming with me, young man. I'm going to tell Dumbledore that you tried to kill him, I will. You're going to be in big trouble, most likely expelled from Hogwarts and banished from the grounds, maybe even sent to Azkaban-"

I rolled my eyes and whipped out my wand, pointing it at the old professor.

"Obliviate." I said.

A jet of white light surrounded us and Slughorn closed his eyes momentarily. About 2 seconds later, he opened them, and he looked at me and smiled.

"Mr. Malfoy, it's quite late, what are you doing here?"

I straightened and gave him a big smile, putting my wand away.

"I'm not really sure, Professor. Your door was open and I just accidentally wandered in. I'm sorry to intrude."

Professor Slughorn waved his hands.

"No matter, no matter...why don't you sit down, stay awhile, I'll make some tea?"

I shook my head.

"No, it's quite alright, I'd better get going anyways. Goodnight, Professor."

"Goodnight." Slughorn said with a confused expression on his face.

I turned then and walked out of his office.

                           *
I headed back down to the Slytherin common rooms and up to Elizabeth's dorm. I knocked on the door and Elizabeth opened it on the first knock.

"Draco!" She said, backing into the room more so I could come in.

She closed the door as soon as I entered and she looked at me.

"Is it done?" She asked.

I nodded, sitting on her bed.

She came over and stood in front of me.

"What are you thinking about?"  She asked me.

I sighed.

"I don't know. I guess I'm just kind of thinking about how this brilliant little plan our parents created failed and now we have to go back to fixing the Vanishing Cabinet and trying to kill Dumbledore the original way." I replied. I put my head in my hands.

Elizabeth knelt on the floor in front of me, taking my head out of my hands and placing her hands in mine.

I looked into her eyes and she took a deep breath. She didn't even have to say anything, this was reassuring enough.