t w e n t y o n e

Elizabeth

"For the love of Merlin, will you please stop pacing?" Draco asked me in annoyance the next afternoon.

I stopped short, looking at him. I've been pacing back and forth Draco's room for about 20 minutes, dwelling on my little...mistake I made yesterday.

"I'm just thinking." I said.

"I can tell." Draco snapped.

I glared at him and he shifted uncomfortably in his armchair.

"Sorry." He apologized.

I bit down on my thumbnail, staring at the lacquered wood floor.

"I saved Potter's ass. Why did I do that? I could've ratted him out right then and there, and he could've been dead. Him, Weasley, and Granger. And Voldemort would've been satisfied. But I kept my mouth shut, and let him escape." I said. "What was I thinking?"

"This is what's been bothering you?" Draco asked.

I nodded.

Draco got up from his seat and walked over to me.

"Elizabeth, that's not your fault." He said.

"But it is!" I protested.

Draco put his hands on both my arms and rubbed them soothingly.

"No, it isn't. You were under a lot of pressure." He cracked a small grin. "I've been in that spot plenty of times before."

I sighed.

"I know, it's just...I wanna help. And what I did yesterday wasn't helping. That only hurt us."

Draco looked at me with those striking gray eyes I've learned to love so much.

"You being here, right now, with me, is a huge help. I couldn't ask for anything more."

I blushed and stared back down at the floor.

Draco put his finger under my chin and brought my face back up to meet his.

"Soon, this is all gonna be over. You'll see." He promised.

"I hope so." I answered.

Draco stared at me and I felt like I was gonna melt under the intense gaze of his eyes.

"I love you." He said.

"I love you too." I replied.

He leaned in and kissed me once on the lips.

He pulled away but before he could get too far, I wrapped an arm around his neck and kissed him harder. Draco's hands went on my waist and he complied quickly with the kiss.

Once I thought it was going to turn into a harder French kiss, the door to Draco's room swung open. We both pulled quickly away and turned to see who had interrupted us. Bellatrix stood there, her wand in her hand and a crazed expression on her face.

"The Dark Lord is here!" She hissed.

I glanced at Draco.

"Now?" I asked.

"Yes, now! Get downstairs, and quickly. He's expecting all of us." Bellatrix turned around and hurried downstairs, her long black dress swirling around her.

Draco brushed the pad of his thumb over my bottom lip.

"To be continued?" He grinned.