Chapter 29

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Destiny felt the sob she'd been fighting to hold escape her as the line went dead. "Why does he have to die?" She whispered. "Why can't everything just-"

"Are you crying?"

Destiny turned to see Kenneth sticking his head out from the bathroom with a frown.

"It's nothing," she sniffed, pulling her hand into a tight fist behind her back.

"What's wrong?" He insisted, walking toward her.

"Just go take your shower, I'm fine."

"Your a terrible liar," he commented gently; his warm hand wrapped around her clenched one. "Is it Will?"

Destiny's teeth clamped over her lower lip. "I... I can't believe that he's actually dying."

Kenneth sighed, embracing her into warm hug. "He still has a few months, you don't have to stress too much about it."

She shook her head. "I don't think so Ken," she told him. "I really don't think he has too much longer.

Kenneth released her, his hazel eyes shining with confusion. "We should be positive about this, the doctor-"

"I know." Dez sighed, wiping her face briefly. "But, it's just this... I have this feeling. I can't shake it."

He shook his head. "That's just negative energy, Your brother will be fine," he promised, bringing his lips to her hair. "Why don't you get out for a bit? Take a walk, calm yourself down."

Destiny closed her eyes for the longest of moments, pulling all of her emotions in check. "Your right. I'll just... Yeah."

Kenneth smiled, gently pushing her toward the door. "Good. I'll entertain your mother."

"Oh, and Ken?" She said, stopping herself from leaving.

"Yes?"

"Can you get an ultrasound at seven weeks?"

A moment later she was spun around to face her husband, who had an expression of utter confusion on his features. "Are you pregnant?"

Destiny laughed. "No! It was just a question... out of curiosity."

He eyed her suspiciously for a moment before smiling slightly and removing her left hand from her neck. "So... You are?"

She sighed. "I just said-"

"Because, thats great and all, but I'm a little confused-"

Destiny slapped a hand over his mouth, preventing him from speaking. "I'm not. Ok? It's just a question," she clarified, before gently moving it away.

"Then why were you-"

"My neck was just itching," she lied, clenching her hand once more."

"Dez." He sighed. "Please. Just tell me the truth."

Destiny shook her head. "I'm not lying to you. I'm just... Not telling the whole truth."

"Why not?"

"It's not my business, I can't tell you."

"You told me about Will."

"This is different, it's serious."

"Oh, so Cancer isn't serious at all."

Destiny groaned. "Look. I would if I could, but I can't. Ok? Would you answer the question?"

"You'd know more than I would," he replied.

"I would, but I don't; Mister read all day."

Kenneth shrugged. "Maybe I do, maybe I don't. I would love to know-"