Hidden in the Shadows

Three days, that's how long it took them to be able to only transform one hand. Paul was the first to do it. I was really proud of him. It was clear to me since the first day that he was talented. He could control his instincts well for someone so young. With the right teacher this kid could become really strong, enough to scare.

I smile creeps into my lips, just the thought of it got me all motivated. Compared to him everybody else were terrible. It's been three days and they've only been able to do one freaking hand. This is going to last forever and we don't have forever.

It's been a while since anything weird has happened. And that is even weirder. Maybe, they are waiting till their next move. But it doesn't make any sense. I mean, it's obvious the man pulling the strings knows where we are, so why hasn't he come to attack us or kill us. Why can't he just come already, all this peace and quiet is going to affect me.

And besides I'm so bored.

"I did it!" Paul says excitedly.

I sit up and turn to look at him. Sweat is dripping off of him, he looks tired and at the same time buzzing with energy. Next to him, on the ground, is his scarf and his jacket. He is only wearing a white sleeveless shirt and some black pants. He is looking down at his hands with a small smile. Paul didn't smile much and whenever he did it was nothing big.

Paul's hands were a different matter entirely. It was covered with light gray scales. In his knuckles small dark spikes grow. His nails are the same color, yet they are longer and sharper.

Everybody is now looking at him with surprise and a hint of jealousy. Everybody except Paul and Mich were having trouble. All of them have are able to transform one hand but changing both at the same time without changing completely is harder. You need two things. One, to be able to control the energy flow in your body, some find this easier. Two, a good connection with your animal spirit. Two is really important, because you won't ever be able to discover your true potential.

It is possible for everyone to achieve it but with practice. But in my opinion, some people just never get it even if they practice for their entire life time.

"That is amazing Paul!" I say and finally stand up. I walk over to a tree and then ask Paul to come close. "You've completed the first part, you learned how to control the energy inside of you. Now, you have to control the strength. Take this tree as a practice dummy." I motion towards the tree. "With your hand I want you to break this tree, I don't care how you do it. You can punch, scratch, tear whatever you want but you can only use one hand." I finish explaining.

"Okay, I get it." Paul says to me.

"Good, there is one thing though. You have to transform both hands but can only use one, got it?" I ask him.

He nods and takes a deep breath. Both hands slowly transform, skin turns into scales, and he stretches out his left hand. In one quick motion he brings it down hitting the tree. He doesn't break the tree he just leaves slightly deep claw marks.

I pat him on the head before I go back to my spot under a wide tree. Here is the best shade from the afternoon sun. The others are going at it again.

That's when I smell it, a new scent is in the air. I follow the origins of the scent to the trees. At least 2 miles away, yes, it is coming form our right side. I close my eyes so I can concentrate better. I hear leafs being slightly crushed against the rough ground. Something was moving between the covers of the trees. The scent is not from these woods, that means one thing. It came form somewhere else and animals don't move in such patterns. They were human. Someone is here, hiding in the forest and not just that they are spying on us. Someone is watching us.