Lincoln_Crowe - "Newborn"

Name of Author: Lincoln Crowe
Title of Book: Newborn

Favorite Authors: Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, Philip Pullman, Neil Gaiman, JRR Tolkien, and Frank Herbert

Bio: Pop culture lover. Foodie. Internet advocate. Travel aficionado. Rock climber. Web geek.I love to read and write, bordering on obsessed. I'm also a huge nerd. TV, movies, board games, go karting, comics, and anime; I love it all!

Newborn

https://www.wattpad.com/story/9161097-newborn

Can you explain what your book is all about?
Newborn tells two parallel, intertwining stories. The main one is about Anne Halton, a lesbian who discovers that she is really an ancient demon, resurrected without her memories. The second story is about Aaron Hart, a boy who is destined to find the mythical "Sword of God".

They have old friends who want to corrupt them, enemies that want to kill them, and lovers they can't remember. All the while, everything is secretly being orchestrated by a genocidal angel who everyone thinks is dead.

Warning: contains lesbians, demons, fire, and foreplay.

Who is your target audience - and why?
If you're anyone who likes to read about people with kick ass powers, an ancient supernatural war, weird mysteries, cute teen romance, or a supernatural book that isn't afraid to talk about big questions, please check this out. Also, if you want to read a book that has a lesbian lead, but isn't a traditional GirlxGirl romance book, I think this book is for you.

What is 'paranormal' about your story?
There are angels, demons, superpowers, and lots of strange stuff going on. The story goes back to a time before time, but most of it takes place in a modern urban environment with people dealing with impossible things happening in a world just like ours.

Does it contain other genre elements, if so which ones - and why?
This is really a genre bending story. The supernatural is definitely the core, but there are parts that deal with mystery, horror, romance, and tragedy. It goes through a lot of genres because I wanted to create a large, realistic world which happened to have angels and demons in it, and our world isn't just one genre

Tell us about your writing process - how do you get from story idea to a Wattpad published story?
It's all about the outline and the editing for me. I start with an idea, then I brainstorm and flesh it out, creating a rough outline of what I want to happen. Then I create a more in depth outline, breaking it down into chapters. I set out a week's worth of chapters and then I write it. When you write things, they don't always go according to plan (you think of a better way to do it, or something that was amazing in your head just doesn't work), so you have to edit the outline so you aren't in trouble later on.

In terms of publishing on Wattpad, I try to write well ahead of where I am and EDIT a lot. Everyone likes to think about the sexy parts of writing, the ones you see in movies like the moment of inspiration or those times when the words just flow out of you (and they are amazing), but, for me, it's mostly about the work I do before or after that make my stories flow. Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Did you encounter any challenges when writing, if so - how did you overcome them?
Sometimes I have trouble having confidence in myself. I question whether things should be a certain way or I should change them. Getting input from people online and in real life can help, but you also have to stay true to your own vision. I'm not sure if I have a solution to that problem, but right now I'm going with "write more and hope it works itself out".

You often hear that 'writing well' is the baseline for success. What does that mean for you?
I guess you really don't want me to put that soapbox away. For me, "writing well" means practice. I think the comment is absolutely true, you might have the best idea in the world, or the most interesting characters, but the words you use are how you communicate your thoughts to your reader and if they aren't good, it will be like trying to look through a window caked in mud. You need to learn how to structure your story, chose you words, catch any mistakes, and so much more. I think some people take the fact that they need to write well as intimidating, but it shouldn't be. Writing well is a skill, not just an art, and it improves with practice. My early works are super rough. Writing Newborn, I learned a lot that I'll take to my next story. The more you write, the better you write, especially if you can find some honest feedback.