SarahShakespeare - "The Lost Lanore"

Name of Author: Sarah Shakespeare

Title of book: The Lost Lanore

Favorite Authors: Bill Bryson, George Orwell, Philip Roth, Edgar Allan Poe, Stephen King

Bio: Hi everyone! My name is Sarah Shakespeare and I'm an aspiring author. I've just finished my degree in literature and creative writing and I'm going on to do my Masters in literary studies. I've started to write a novel and hopefully one day I'll get it published!

Can you explain what your book is all about?

My book is about a ghost, Lanore, who is looking for her husband. He drowned on their wedding day, but she doesn't know that she's dead, too. Their spirits can't find one another.

Who is your target audience - and why?

I don't have a particular target audience. I think my book can be enjoyed by anyone of any age, such is the beauty of reading!

What is 'paranormal' about your story?

Lanore is a ghost who is lost in the spirit world.

Does it contain other genre elements, if so which ones - and why?

My story contains Gothic genre elements, as well as paranormal. It was inspired by the song 'Eleanor Rigby' and the poem, 'The Raven', they both contain Gothic overtones and that translated into my story to make it more atmospheric.

Tell us about your writing process - how do you get from story idea to a Wattpad published story?

My writing process is a chaotic one. I write very quickly, but efficiently. If I have what I think is a good idea, I'll sit down and grind those words out.

Did you encounter any challenges when writing, if so - how did you overcome them?

The challenge of writing is re-writing. It's sometimes hard to accept that most first drafts aren't very good and it's only by having the patience to improve your piece that will make it something special.

You often hear that 'writing well' is the baseline for success. What does that mean for you?

I don't think anyone should write for success. You should write because you have something to say, to convey. It doesn't matter if it's not very good or successful. The important thing is that you have made a work of art!

One final question, this being the Paranormal genre: Have you ever had a paranormal experience?

I'd be reluctant to say I've had a paranormal experience. However, I did hear footsteps coming up the stairs once and there was nobody there. . . Make of that what you will!