The Flight

When we got called to board the plane, my heart started to beat really fast. It was actually coming to me that I was going to California! I have always wanted to go and make a name for myself. Sadly, I don't think I can do it in a week. I have always wanted to become an actress. It's been my dream for as long as I can remember. I became addicted to acting right after my mom died. What I liked about it was, you could become someone else, just for a few minutes. I didn't have to worry about going home and crying myself to sleep. I could be someone else! I could have a completely different life!

Jess and I walked onto the plane with our carry ons and we sat down according to the seating chart. Jess turned around and sat on her knees with her arms folded on the head rest and started talking to me.

"Oh my god I can't wait to get there!" she said jumping up and down in her seat as she bumped her head. We both started to laugh really hard. But as soon as I saw him, I stopped.

"Hey there love!" Harry said as he sat next to me. He had an innocent smile on his face, dimples and everything.

"Don't call me love." I said looking at him in disgust. I looked back over at Jess who had now lost it. Her eyes were big and her mouth was open, but when she saw me looking at her see turned around in her seat and left me to fend for myself.

"Sorry..." he said looking away from me.

"Can we just start off with a good start? Please, I don't want this flight to be awkward." He said looking back at me and putting his hand on my thigh.

"Listen! First of all, get your fucking hand off me. Second of all don't call me love! Do we have a deal!" I said removing his hand from my thigh.

"Okay, okay, I got it!" He said nervously. "I'm gonna try this again." He said as he got up and walked to the front of the cabin. He the turned around and walked back over and sat down. "Hi, I'm Harry." He said holding his hand out for me to shake. I hesitantly took it.

"May." I said trying to go along with whatever he was trying to do. He let go of my hand and sat back in his seat.

"Were you from May?" I couldn't believe he was seriously doing this.

"Ohio. You?"

"Same, but I was born in Chesire, England. And I moved to Ohio when I was ten with mom mum." he said with his annoying accent.

"Cool..." I said not impressed.

"So... May, how old are you?" He was really beginning to annoy me. But I must say he's only trying to make small talk.

"18. You?"

"Yep, 18! I was born on February 1st. You?"

"May 19th." I said just trying to get the conversation over with. He nodded his head and quickly turned his head.

"So you just turned 18?"

"Yeah."

"That's cool!" He said resting his head on the head rest.

"Okay! Just stop!! You don't need to talk. You're ruining it." I said. I just couldn't take it any more. He jumped.

"Sorry..." He said as we began to take off.

As we were getting off the ground, I looked over at him. I could tell his ears were popping. I quick took out a piece of Peppermint gum and handed him a piece. He looked at me confused.

"It will help to unpop your ears." I said putting the rest back into my bag.

"Thanks!" He said smiling. I unwrapped the gum and put it in his mouth and started to chew.

"Oh my goodness! It actually works!" He said astounded. I smiled back at him. I couldn't believe that he didn't know that! He's been on planes hundreds of times to go to award shows and shows and stuff.

***

It's been an 3 hours since we left ground in Ohio. My ass is asleep and so is everyone else on the plane. Except for the pilot of course. I decided to get up to go to the bathroom. Harry had the isle seat to I had to squeeze in front of him to get by. Once I got into the bathroom I did a few jumping jacks and squats to awaken my sleeping ass. After a went to the bathroom I walked back to my seat. Harry was now awake.

"Oh here." He said getting up out of his seat to let me in. After I sat down he did the same.

"So how'd you sleep?" I asked wondering why he didn't do that same manly thing a few minutes ago.

"Well thanks! And I'm sorry I didn't wake up before you left so it would have been easier for you to get out."

"It's fine." I said as I put my earphones in.

"What you listening to?" He asked as he pulled the right earphone out of my ear and placed it into his left ear.

"Les Miserable soundtrack." I said with a smile appearing on my face. He began to sway back and forth.

"Why" He said really getting into the music.

"I've always wanted to be in it" He stopped swaying and took out the earphone.

"Really?"

"Yeah..."

"That's really cool! How long have you been into acting?"

"...Ever since my mom died" I said looking down. He was silent for a few seconds.

"Oh May, I'm so sorry." He said handing me my earphone back. I took my other one out and looked out the window trying to hold back the tears.

"Oh my god, May!" He said forcing me around and hugging me. I didn't want him to hug me at first, but I just let him because the only other person I've hugged about this subject was Jess. My dad wasn't into hugs.

"It's fine." I said getting out of the hug.

"If you don't mind me asking, when did she die?"

"When I was 12."

"How?"

"She um..." I started to cry harder. ":She had pancreatic cancer and then it spread into her bones." I said wiping away my tears, trying to stay strong. Harry put his hand on top of mine.

"I'm so sorry May, it must have been hard."

"It was." I said. After that there was silence until the pilot announced that we would be landing in 5 minutes.