Day 7

Harry's POV

I can't believe that May and I have been on this island for a week now! It seems like it was just yesterday that her and I were staring at each other in the cafeteria at lunch. I wish I had the courage to tell her that I love her, but I don't. You would think I would be able to say whatever I wanted to her, but I can't. She means something to me! I'm in love with her! I feel like I'm moving way too fast for her. She's been through so much and I don't want to ruin what we have. I mean she once hated me... What's going to keep her from feeling that way again?

I woke up with May in my arms. It was hot out but she felt cold. I leaned forward and kissed her cheek, it was cold too. Her whole body was cold and it was probably over 90 degrees out. I mean I was breaking a sweat just by sitting up.

Something didn't seem right. She wasn't waking up. I tried to shake her awake but she didn't move. I tried to scream to wake her up nothing worked. Fear started to come over me. I mean, what will I do on this island without her! I can't loose her! She's not responding to me! This can't be happening...

I decided to carry her to the lagoon. I carefully dipped her head in, just so her hair was in. I massaged her scalp and after a while, I decided to take her back to shack. If she was going to die... I was going to have her die in our home.

I dug through her purse and found a picture of an older woman. On the back of it, was a letter from her mother.

To my darling May on your 11th birthday,

I know you have been having a hard time since I was diagnosed. I just wanted to let you know that I'm very proud of you! You have been through more than any 11 year old ever has to go through. You have stayed so strong and I want to thank you for that! I can tell that it's hurting you. I don't want it to, but there is nothing I can do about it except to be with you for as long as I can. Even when I'm gone, I will always be with you. No matter what! I love you so much! Keep being the strong, beautiful, kind girl that you are.

I love you, xo Mom

My heart began to sink. I realized that after her mom gave May that letter, she only had one year left with her. I just hope that her mom is watching over us now. I hope that her mom will get May through this.

I placed the picture in May's hands and sat down beside her. I grabbed the leaves that had made us warm and laid them on her to try to make her warm. I couldn't help but crying. I mean the girl I'm in love with isn't waking up. She's cold and isn't responding. I'm away from my mom and my sister. The boys are probably worried sick. For heck's sake, I'm worried.

I was just beginning to loose hope when I herd a sound in the distance. I quick stood up and ran out to the beach. I looked up in the sky and saw a helicopter! Oh my god!

I quick ran back to the shack and grabbed the flare gun that I found while exploring the island. I ran back down to the water, aimed it at the helicopter and pulled the trigger. It shot up into the sky and exploded. It worked. The helicopter started to move towards our island. I started to jump up and down, waving my hands around to get their attention.

When the helicopter landed I ran up to it. Jess, Allen, and... my dad... came running out. My heart started to race. This is crazy! Jess and Allen ran over to me and hugged me.

"Where's May?" Jess asked with worried eyes. I showed them back to our shack and told them about the events of this morning. I quick grabbed May and carried her to the helicopter. Jess grabbed May's purse and climbed in.

I looked down at May. She was still cold. I kissed her softly on her forehead. With tears in my eyes, I looked up to see my dad staring at me from the seat in front of me.

"I'm proud of you son." He said with sympathetic eyes.

I hesitated to respond. I mean, he has ignored me for years. Never calls, never sends birthday cards, nothing. "Thanks..." I said staring him in the eyes. I could have have sworn I saw a tear in his eye. But he just sat up straight and looked out the window.

I looked over at Jess and Allen who were hugging each other. "You had us worried sick!" Jess cried as she hugged me. Allen seemed to have calmed down. I smiled at him and he broke down crying. Oh gay guys! They're so emotional!

"Do you know how much longer until we get back?" I asked Jess.

"Um, about 20 minutes if the pilot go's fast."

"Can you speed it up please? Thank you!" I yelled up the the pilot. I felt the helicopter start to move faster. I hope we get back home in time to save May...