The Surgery's Tomorrow

I had my day off yesterday and all I had on my mind was Tyler and the meeting he and the Stars were going to have with his doctors. I was too scared to ask how it went yesterday but I can't avoid it today. I'm on my way to work and I don't know how I am going to get through my shift. I barely got any sleep. I was up all day and night wondering what they decided to do, worried about Tyler. I hate not being at the hospital with him. I have no control when I'm not there. At least while I'm there with him I can keep an eye on things, keep an eye on him.

I pull into my parking spot in the parking deck and rest my forehead on the steering wheel. I don't think I'm ready for this today. I already know what's going to happen. I just don't want to hear the words. I close my eyes for a few seconds but force myself to open them. I could fall asleep right here and now if I don't get out of this car. I open the door and get out of my car. I look down at myself and realize that my scrub top doesn't even match my scrub bottoms. Did I even look in the mirror before leaving the house? I look ridiculous. I guess I'm lucky my shoes match. I grab my purse from the passenger seat and make my way into the hospital.

As I pass by different people I work with I force a smile and wave as I slowly make my way to the nurse's locker room. I put my things in my locker and walk to the nurse's station where Orlando is waiting for me. "You look like hell," he says as he hands me Tyler's chart.

"Yeah I feel like hell," I reply. I'm not even mad he said it. I know it's true. I don't even remember if I brushed my hair or not.

"What the hell happened?" he asks.

"Couldn't sleep. Up all night," I explain.

"Good luck trying to stay awake."

"Thanks."

Orlando leaves and I reluctantly walk into Tyler's room. I put my hand in my pocket and there's a hair tie in it. I push my hair back on my head and put my hair into a ponytail. Maybe I'll feel a bit better with my hair out of the way for today. Tyler is sleeping so I walk over to the side of his bed and put my hand on his shoulder. He flinches at my touch. I must have startled him. He opens his eyes and smiles as soon as he sees me. "Rise and shine," I say.

"You're here already? I must have dozed off after rehab." He looks me up and down and smirks. "Did you get dressed in the dark or something?"

"Shut up. I'm tired."

"Blue and red does not go well together. You need to wear those green ones again."

"I'm going to smother you with a pillow in a second." He laughs. "Are you going to tell me what happened yesterday or are you just going to continue to insult my clothes?"

"You're so grumpy today. Maybe I don't want to tell you now."

"Tyler..."

"I'm not even allowed to talk about the details anyway. They had me sign a contract and everything."

"Don't mess with me. I'm not in the mood."

"Ohh, baby, you're adorable. I'm not telling you until you smile."

"You're lucky my eyes are open. I was awake all night worrying about you. Please just tell me. It's not like I don't know anyway."

"I'm getting the surgery."

I look down at the floor. "That's what I thought."

"I have to take the chance to walk again. To me the risk is worth it."

"I don't want anything to happen to you. I would take care of you forever if it means having you with me."

"Nothing is going to happen to me. You'll see. I'm going to be walking out of this place."