You woke up the sleeping beast

Today is Tyler's first day of rehab where he's going to work on his walking. I can't wait to get into work and ask him how it went. I know these things can't be rushed but I am anxious to get him out of the hospital and home with me so I'm hoping it went better than expected. I promised Tyler I would bring him ice cream so I'm stopping off at Paciugo to pick him up some gelato. I get green tea cheesecake for myself and I get him banana cream pie. I rush to the hospital so it doesn't melt before I can even get it to him.

Once I get to the hospital I quickly put my things in my locker and head to Tyler's room. When I walk in I see Tyler holding onto the side of the bed, struggling to stay on his feet. He's almost all the way on the floor. "Tyler! What the hell are you doing?" I exclaim as I rush over to him after putting the two cups down. I help him up off of the floor and back into bed. "You're going to hurt yourself. It's going to take time."

"Today was just so frustrating. I thought I'd be able to do it."

"You will. Just not right away."

"I just want to go home."

"You will. You just have to take it one step at a time. Don't get too ahead of yourself."

He hangs his head. "I couldn't even stand up. I kept getting light headed. I wanted to stand for you."

"You'll get there." I walk over to where I placed the gelato cups down and grab them. "I brought you ice cream like I promised." I hand him his cup. "That'll make you feel better."

"Thank you but I don't think it's going to make me feel any better. Walking will make me feel better."

"This will have to do for now." I sit down in the chair next to the bed. "So are you feeling anything else yet?"

He looks up from his gelato and smiles. "No. Guess you can't wait, huh?"

"Honestly, I just want you home. I was just wondering."

"You lie awake at night thinking about it, don't you?"

"Yes I do actually."

"Nice."

I roll my eyes. "Just eat your gelato so I can get started on my day."

"Yes, ma'am. You're forceful today. I like it."

"Get a grip, Tyler."

"You are so feisty. What's gotten into you?"

"Nothing. I'm good. Everything is normal."

"Something's on your mind. What's going on?"

"I don't want to talk about it. It's stupid."

"Don't make me get out of this bed and force you to tell me. I can do that now."

"You can barely do that now," I tease.

"I'm your boyfriend. You can talk to me."

"I'm scared that once you're up and walking and back to your old self that you'll realize that you're not attracted to me anymore because of my leg. What if you only like me because I'm taking care of you? But once you don't need me anymore you'll see that I'm still broken and you're perfect."

"That couldn't be further from the truth. I fell in love with you before I even knew about your leg and once I found out about it, it only made me love you more. Don't ever doubt my love for you. You mean everything to me and I can't wait to come home and start our lives together."

"I know. It was stupid of me to think that way. I guess I just started freaking out."

"If you're not ready..."