I'm scared

A week goes by while Tyler is sedated. There was a considerable amount of swelling and they wanted to make sure that it went down before waking him up. They also know he would have been in a great deal of pain. Keeping him sedated was for his own good. It just drove me insane. When I came into work today and they told me they were going to wake him. I'm excited and scared all at the same time. Once they wake him he might be able to come out of ICU and hopefully things will get back to normal.

I'm sitting in his room watching him sleep when the doctors come in. I stand up and move to the back of the room to give them space. This ICU room is so much smaller than his usual room. They hover over Tyler as they wait for him to wake up. I want to be right there with them so I could be the first person he sees when he opens his eyes but I have to stand back. Everything usually happens while I'm not here. This is the first time I'm actually here for something. It takes everything in me not to walk over to him and hold his hand.

"Tyler, can you hear me?" one of the doctors asks. He shakes his head yes. "Can you see me?" He shakes his head yes. He stands at the end of the bed and puts his hand on Tyler's foot. "Can you feel that?" He shakes his head no. The doctor touches his shins, knees, thighs. He shakes his head no to all of them. I take a deep breath and hang my head. The surgery didn't work.

They give Tyler a cup of water. His mouth and throat are dry from being sedated for so long. The doctor hands it to him but he doesn't move. He looks at the doctor in a panic. "Is everything ok?" I ask. The look on his face is terrifying.

"Tyler, can you move your hand?" the doctor asks. He shakes his head no. He squeezes Tyler's hand. "Can you feel that?" Tyler shakes his head no. "What about the rest of your arm?" He doesn't move.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"Can you get Tyler a straw?" the doctor asks me.

I don't want to leave the room but I can't exactly say no either. I look over at Tyler who looks back at me. He looks scared. I think this is the first time I've seen him scared. "I'll be right back," I say before leaving the room. He's gotten worse. I can't believe he's gotten worse. I always knew it was a possibility I just didn't think it would actually happen. I grab a straw and walk back to Tyler's room. I put the straw in the cup of water and hold it in front of his mouth so he can drink.

The doctors are huddled at the end of the bed whispering to each other. After Tyler has his water he looks up at me. "I can't feel anything passed my neck," he says.

"Maybe it's temporary," I reply.

"I'm scared, Amy."

"I am too." I look over at the doctors who are still talking to each other. I'm trying to read their faces but I can't tell what's going on. I lean down and quickly whisper in his ear, "I love you." He smiles. "I've been waiting all week to see that smile."

The doctors walk back over to him and I take my place in the back of the room once more. "You're breathing on your own so that's a good sign. The loss of movement and sensation you're experiencing might be temporary. We'll have to do some scans to make sure. There's still swelling so we'll wait for that to go down and we'll go from there."

"Thank you, Dr. Wagner," Tyler says.

"Get some rest and we'll check back tomorrow and run some tests," Dr. Wagner says. He looks to me. "Amy, keep up the good work."

"Thanks, Dr. Wagner," I reply. The doctors leave the room and I walk over and stand next to Tyler's head. "See, it's probably temporary."

"What if I messed up?" he asks as tears start to roll down his cheeks, "you told me not to do this and I didn't listen."