Tyler Skates Again : Meeting the Parents

I had a long shift yesterday. I was pretty much at the hospital for 24 hours. We had a few nurses who couldn't come in and I filled in for them. I don't even know how I made it home from the hospital. I'm pretty sure I slept the whole way home. As soon as I got home I walked right into the bedroom and dropped onto the bed face first and haven't moved since. I know I slept through the alarm Tyler set for me. I would sleep through an atomic bomb, that's how tired I am right now, but I have to wake up. Today is important. Today is the first day Tyler is going to be skating since his accident. He has been working out all morning and he's scheduled to start skating at 2 and he wants me to be there. I want to be there. i have to be there.

I grab my phone and look at the time. It's 1. I still have time to take a very quick shower, throw some kind of clothes on, and get to Frisco by 2 but I have to get out of bed right now and my body doesn't want to move. I really have to talk myself out of bed but I finally get up and head to the bathroom to take a shower. After I get dressed I let the dogs out for a few minutes before calling them back in. I have just enough time to get in my car and head to Frisco. I'm not sure I am going to get there on time. It really depends on traffic. I hope they don't start without me but I have no way of getting in touch with Tyler to let him know I might be late. I just have to hope I can fly up there without any problem.

As I race up the tollway I think back on how hard Tyler has worked to get to this point. It's the beginning of September so it's been about 3 months since the Stars have won the Stanley Cup. Tyler has been working with his physical therapists as well as the team conditioning coaches to get back into shape to start moving towards playing hockey again. He says he feels stronger than he's ever felt before. I don't know how true that is. I'm still nervous about what could happen to him but I am no longer against him playing. I'm his biggest supporter. I want nothing more for him than to get back out there and be who he used to be. The doctors have given him the ok so all that could possibly hold him back is himself and there are no signs of him slowing down.

He knows he won't be ready to play by the time the season starts but there is a possibility that he could play later in the upcoming season. That is still a pretty long way off at this point. He was hoping to join his team in training camp but that doesn't look like something that is going to be happening. First he has to get on skates and get that muscle memory back. He's had such a miraculous recovery so he could come back earlier than expected but we try not to dwell on what could be. It will happen when it happens. He's been so impatient about it but that's just Tyler. He isn't trying to rush anything by doing it too early but he has no problem voicing his displeasure when he feels like he should be further along in his recovery.

This is the day we have been waiting for for so long and traffic is slowing down. "This can't be happening right now," I yell out as I try to look ahead to see what's slowing us down. I look at the time on my dashboard. I have 15 minutes to get there. I can see flashing police lights ahead so I assume there has been some kind of accident. My phone starts ringing and I look down to see who it is. It's Tyler. I answer it and put him on speaker. "Hey, babe."

"Hey, are you coming?" he asks.

"Yeah I'm on my way. Stuck in traffic. Please don't start without me. I don't want to miss it."

"I'll try to put it off as long as I can. I really want to get out there. I'm standing here looking at the ice right now."

"I don't want to get in the way. If you want to go you should go. Hopefully I'll be there soon."

"I want you to be here for when I first go out. I can wait. There's still time anyway. I don't even have my gear on. I just wanted to make sure you weren't still sleeping. You didn't even budge when I tried waking you this morning."