Discomfort

Suzy squealed into the phone.

"It's just a movie!" I yelled. "Calm down!"

"But it's with Dan! In his house!"

I sighed, typing on my laptop.

She cheered. "You've gotta be at least a little bit excited!"

"I am, don't get me wrong, I'm just not dying over it," I chuckled.

"Yeah, yeah," she said. "Hey, I gotta go. Tell me how things go."

As soon as she hung up the phone, I let out a sigh. Why was she acting like this was a date? I wasn't even sure if I liked Danny that way, and I know for a fact that he doesn't like me anymore than a friend would. I wish Arin and Suzy would stop rooting for something impossible.

I left work a little bit early so that I had time to relax a little. He was picking me up at 4:30. It was 4 now. I fell backwards on my bed, closing my eyes.

Then my phone rang again. It was from Ross. I huffed and held the phone to my ear. "Hello?"

"What are you doing?" Dan's voice was far away.

"Texting (Y/N)." Ross's voice was closer and clearer then Danny's, and I kinda jumped a little. "Why?"

"I was just wondering why you were over there laughing at nothing."

There was a short pause, then Ross let out one of his obnoxious cackles. I rolled my eyes, about to hang up, when Danny spoke up again. "What'd she say this time?"

"She's just telling me about something her boyfriend did," he replied, a laugh still clinging to his breath. I furrowed my brows together. Where was he getting at?

"Boyfriend?" Dan asked. Even from such a distance, I could still hear the shock in his voice.

"Well, ex," Ross began. "They broke up not too long ago, before the whole blind date stunt Arin and Suzy pulled."

"Oh, man," Dan's voice was slightly louder, telling me he was approaching Ross. "Hope she's okay about the whole thing. I didn't even know."

"She's okay. You guys are watching movies today, yeah?"

"Yeah."

"If I were you, I'd treat her like a queen. It's their anniversary."

"Oh, shit."

The phone hung up. I growled, throwing my phone on the bed. What did he think he was doing, telling Dan lies like that?! I huffed and looked at the clock. 4:16.

~~~~~

Time was up. 4:30. At exactly 4:33, Dan's car pulled up outside on the curb. The tiny horn echoed into my house. I smiled and headed outside, waving at him through the car window. I hopped in the passenger seat.

"Hello," I said, smiling at him.

"Good evening," he replied in a slight sing-song voice.

"It is indeed." I nodded. He started to drive. "Thanks for inviting me over."

"Oh, it's nothing, brah!" He smiled back happily. "I'll let you and Brian decide what movie to watch."

"Okay," I said, slightly hesitant. I kinda forgot that Brian was there, too. Not like I didn't want him to be there! Dan was the one who invited me, so I just pictured him watching it with me first! Yeah, let's go with that. He glanced back over at me.

"Is something wrong?" He asked.

I blinked. Then it dawned on me that I was staring at him for the past five minutes. Shit! I looked at the road in front of me. "Oh, no. Why?"

"You kinda looked zoned out. I thought I lost you for a moment there," Danny replied, smiling slightly.

"Yeah, sorry. I left the other half of my brain at the bar." I responded.

"So half of your brain is drunk and the other half will be bored to death by the end of the day. How scandalous."

I grinned. "That's the only way to live."

I found myself looking at him again when his attention was drawn to the road once more. Suzy's words filled my thoughts. "You've gotta be at least a little bit excited!"

At the time, it didn't feel like a big deal, just a night in with some friends. But now, as we drove, I felt something in my chest. It was...weird. My breathing felt unnatural, like my ribs were closing in on my lungs. I took a deep breath to make sure I wasn't sufficating. Nope, there was still oxygen in my body. At least for the time being. There was a small discomfort in my stomach, too. I wasn't fond of it.

We arrived at the house a little bit later. He pulled over, turned off the engine, and stood up outside the car. I did the same, raising my arms high in the air as I stretched out my legs and back. The discomfort became worse as I followed Danny up to the door. Now's a bad time to hurl, (Y/N), I told myself. But it wasn't quite a barfy kind of discomfort. It was more like I was...nervous, maybe? But why?

"Here we are," he said, leading me inside. "Sorry, it may be a little messy. Hey, Brian! (Y/N)'s here!"

I looked around. The only mess, if you could even call it that, was an empty glass sitting on a table.

"Hello," Brian's voice echoed through the house before his body followed behind it, eating an apple. I remember his presence at the pool party. I smiled and waved. "Is she coming with us, then?"

"What?" Dan replied. I raised an eyebrow.

"The photoshoot? I texted you earlier that it was changed to tonight, right?" He swallowed the fruit in his mouth.

"No."

"Well, that's a thing that's happening today." He threw the apple like it was a basketball at the trash can. Swoosh! "Want me to see if we can reschedule?"

"No!" I said. They turned to look at me. "Let's do it! I wanna go."

They shrugged at each other. Dan opened the door he just closed not too long ago. "Well, let's go then."