Extra #1: Little Buddy

"Can I do it yet?" Kade whispered to me, waiting anxiously, bouncing up and down, his curls jumping happily along with him.

"Not yet, not yet." I chuckled quietly.

"Come on, it's been like, an hour." He explained, his green eyes looking at the gift it his hands.

I laughed a little bit more before whispering, "Fine. Go for it."

He ran into Me and Dan's bedroom. His father was lying on his stomach, stretched out like a starfish as he snored softly. Quietly, Kade snuck his way beside the bed. "DAD, WAKE UP." He yelled loudly. Dan jumped, pushing himself up on his hands and knees. "Happy Birthday!" Our son cheered, raising his hands in the air with the largest grin I've ever seen.

Danny sighed in relief, flopping over onto his back before laughing. "Thank you, buddy," he said, sitting up. His hand ruffled the boy's hair.

"Open it, open it!" Kade repeated, handing the box to him. I leaned against the door frame with a grin on my face.

"Okay, okay." He laughed once more, ripping the paper off the box. He pulled the cardboard flaps up to reveal a football in the bottom. "A football! Nice!" He tossed it around in the air.

"I picked it out myself! We can start training so I can be the best football player ever!" Kade nodded enthusiastically.

Dan grinned. "Heck yeah! You're going to the NFL in no time, dude."

"I'm gonna be the biggest, strongest player on the team! You just wait, Dad! I'll make you proud!" He stuck both fists in the air in victory.

"You already make me proud, buddy." Dan's voice was sweet and kind, like he always was around his son. "High five!"

Kade slammed his hand against his father's, clearly trying to prove his strength. They both cheered a bit before Kade ran out of the room, most likely to the bathroom. It was the only time he ran that fast, when he forgot to relieve himself before his bladder was ready to explode.

Dan chuckled, running his hand through his poofy hair as he stood. "That boy, I tell ya," he mumbled, walking over to me. "Has he always had that much energy?"

"Happy Birthday, love," I smiled with a giggle.

Lying his hand on my side, he leaned in and pecked my lips softly. I placed my hands on his chest instantly. He pulled away for a split second. "Thank you, babe." He kissed me again repeatedly, small, gentle kisses.

"Momma! Momma! Can you make waffles, please?" Kade ran in, interrupting us.

I chuckled and pulled away from my husband. "Yes, I will, Kade."

"Good! You better give Dad extra syrup, cause it's his birthday!" He reminded me for the fifth time this morning. It was only nine o'clock, and we had gotten up at eight-thirty.

"Aye aye, captain!" I gave a little salute before the boy giggled and ran off once again. Dan and I both chuckled a bit more before following behind him. I split off into the kitchen, while my husband followed his son into the living room, where his favorite cartoon was blaring loudly.

I grabbed the box of waffle mix out of the cabinet and poured it into a bowl, mixing it with water afterward. As I stirred, I heard Kade's squeal of laughter. "Don't tickle mmeeeeee!"

I laughed, now pouring the liquid onto the hot waffle iron I prepped before I began. I closed the top and waited, getting the syrup and plates out in the meanwhile. Before I knew it, the waffles were done. "Boys! Breakfast!"

The two of them walked back into the dining room, sitting down in their usual chairs that they sat in nearly everyday for meals. I sat down as well after serving the food to them. Because he was only little, I poured Kade's syrup on his waffles. "Yaww wawffles aww amazing," he replied with a mouthful of the stuff.