Hear Me Out

Halfway through the drive home, I must've fell asleep, because I woke to the sound of Dan's sweet, calming voice in my ear. I sleepily opened my eyes to find my left cheek smushed against his arm. I groaned a tiny bit and sat up.

"I mean, I could leave you out here to sleep in the car, but I don't think that'd make me a very good boyfriend, would it?" He chuckled.

I smiled. "Guess not."

It was dark outside when we arrived home. I took off my seat belt, stepped out of the car, and stretched, rubbing the slumber out of the corner of my eyes. Almost immediately, Dan took a large, deep breath as soon as he stepped out of the car. He nervously ran his hand through his hair, closing his eyes. There was a tiny ache in my chest and I couldn't understand why. I walked over to him. "Babe? Are you okay?"

He opened his eyes. "I'm the biggest wimp I've ever known."

"What? Why is that?" I frowned a bit. "What's going on?"

Another nervous breath. "It's a full moon, you know?"

I raised an eyebrow and looked up. Sure enough, the moon was indeed full. "Beautiful" was the only word that could describe it. "Woah."

"Pretty cool, huh? It's supposed to be one of the brightest full moons you'll see all year." He wrapped his arms around me from the back, burying his face in my shoulder.

I chuckled a tiny bit before turning around, wrapping my arms around his neck. I looked up at him, staring into his eyes. His hands held onto my waist gently. "What is all this about?"

"This is going to sound incredibly awkward. I mean, extremely," he mumbled, leaning his forehead on mine. I pecked his lips lightly automatically due to force of habit. "Hear me out, okay?" She nodded.

"I love you more than anything. All I think about is you, even when I should be thinking of work, or of song lyrics. You're always on my mind. You make me so happy when you're around," he began. Immediately, my heart started beating.

"You're the best thing that has ever happened to me. I don't want you to leave me," his voice was now a mumble as he slowly began to lose confidence, I noticed. I looked up into his eyes, which were full of anxiety. One last deep breath escaped from his lips. Then, holding his breath, he bent down on his right knee and looked up at me, pulling a small, red box out of his back pocket. He opened it up, revealing the diamond ring that sat inside the white cushion. "(F/N) (L/N), will you stay with me forever?"

Tears flooded from my eyes as I fell on my knees in front of him. I couldn't stop smiling as I wrapped my arms around him tightly, nearly pushing him over. "Of course! I could never say no!"