Preview to the Moon Goddess and the Guard

"Anil what is a mommy?" My six year old self asked. I had the word said many times around the castle and in my classes.

"Well, a mommy is the person that takes care of you. She will love you. No matter what you do or what happens," he explained, his legs swinging over the edge of bench clad in shorts and a t-shirt. Anil had just come from training. I knew this. He is my best friend. And he stinks.

"Where's my mommy?" I asked aloud. More to myself then Anil. I never had anybody that loved me and took care of me it felt.

I was just someone they could lock up and come out when I had to learn. I barely got to see Anil, only when I was aloud out of my room and he wasn't in his classes and training.

"I don't know. I don't know where my mommy is either." Anil was an orphan. He told me that he was dropped off at the gates of the castle crying and screaming. He was only a baby.

"Well, I guess we will just have to look for our moms together, once we can get out of here." Even though I was young I knew I wouldn't be getting out of here anytime soon.

"Okay." But Anil knew as well as I did I wouldn't be able to go.

We sat there in silence and stared out at the beautiful sunset. The sky faded from cotton candy colours to a deep navy blue that matched the colour of Anil's shorts. I would have to go back to my room soon. I didn't want to, I never did. But I knew that I had too. So did Anil.

"Lunette, time to come inside!" I heard the voice of my caretaker, Lucy. Lucy was a plump werewolf. She was in her early fifties and had greying brown hair. She was a sweet lady and took very good care of me. But she wasn't what Anil described.

Anil stood up and took my hand, leading me over to wear Lucy was. She smiled down at us and started walking. Turning down the many bending hallways we arrived at my room. I turned to Anil and offered him a small smile. I didn't want to go in there but I had too. It was scary.

"Can I come inside? Just this once. Lunette is scared and you know she doesn't like it in there," Anil asked. But he knew the answer.

"I'm sorry Anil, you know you can't," Lucy says and opens the door and lightly nudging my in.

"I'll see you tomorrow Lunette, I promise and we'll go watch the sunset again," Anil says.

I wasn't able to say anything because the door was tightly closed. Lucy walked over to the looming wardrobe in the corner and pulled out a silk night dress. She helped me change even though I didn't need the assistance and followed me to my bed. I had to say the bed was like sleeping on a cloud. But I still didn't like it.

"I'll stay here with you if you like," Lucy offered and I shook my head turning away from her as I felt the first prickle of vines crawling and wrapping around my legs.

"Alright then," I hear her walk towards the door and the shift to turn towards me one more time. "Goodnight, your highness." The door thuds closed and the vines crawl and wrap around me as a single tear falls out of my eyes.

I open my eyes and feel the vines retreat and leave me in the cotton night dress. A knock sounds on the other side of the door. Just on time, just like any other day.

***

If you want to see what happens next see, look to on my profile and this story is there. Thank you for reading and I hope you all have a good day and enjoyed this preview and book. 

~~BrilliantCrescent