Chapter 10- Hopelessly Falling in Love

My alarm buzzes, and I immediately shoot up in bed to turn it off. It's the day before Thanksgiving break, and I am only thankful for two things. First, I won't have to see Haley or Grayson for nearly a full week. Ever since the incident with Ethan, Grayson has been avoiding me, but I can see right through him. He is afraid to admit his real feelings, whatever those are. I can see it in the way he opens his mouth to say something, then stops. The way his eyes nervously wander when he's with Haley. He is hiding something. Second, I am thankful for Ethan, he has got me through the past few days. He sits with me on the bus and at lunch, and talks to me despite the dirty looks he receives. I hope I never lose him as a friend.

I hop out of bed and do my usual morning routine. I decide to wear a black and white plaid shirt and a pair of black jeans, and I braid my hair to the side. I'm a little late, so I decide to skip breakfast. I grab my backpack and run up to the bus stop and board the bus. Ethan is already sitting down, so I take the seat next to him.

Wow he looks hot today!  His dark brown hair is in a messy quiff with one long strand that hangs down into his greenish eyes, which he is constantly sweeping out off his forehead. He is wearing a gray hoodie with jeans and a gray beanie. Guys in beanies seriously look a hundred times hotter. The way he looks at me sends chills down my spine and sets a cage of butterflies loose in my stomach. He smiles at me, and I instantly blush and avoid his eyes.
"Hey Britt!" He says.
"Hey!" I say, hiding my face so he won't see my blush.
We're just supposed to be friends; nothing more, nothing less, but I can't suppress my feelings for him. He dominates my thoughts and fills my dreams, lighting them up brighter than New York at night.
"I was thinking, with Thanksgiving coming up, do you want to exchange numbers so we can keep in contact?" He asks with a slight hesitation in his voice.
When I look into his eyes, I feel delirious. My heart takes flight and my mind is thrown into the backseat. I have no control, and it is nearly impossible to hide it.
"I'd love to! I mean... Sure yeah... I uhh," I stammer nervously.
Dang it why am I stuttering?!
He smiles at me again, then pulls out his phone and shows me his number, and I show him mine.
"So, uh you wanna hang out some time over Thanksgiving? I mean, I want to get to know you more," he says.
"Sure!" I answer without a second thought.
"Awesome! I was thinking maybe the football game on Tuesday..?" He asks.
"I'd love that," I say even though I despise football.

My whole body craves him: his deep comforting voice, his gentle touch, his gorgeous face. I just want to be around him. I feel like I am high on drugs, he is my addiction. But he knows none of this. As far as he knows, we are just friends, and he is protecting me from Grayson. God knows how much longer I can hide this. I've only met him in two weeks ago, and I am already held prisoner to him.

I'm sitting in English class, when my phone vibrates. I see that I have one new text. I make sure the teacher isn't watching, then enter my passcode. The text is from Ethan.

Hey! Just making sure I have the right number -Ethan

Yup.. I am definitely Britt :) -Britt

No txting in class ;) -Ethan

Hey! You txted me first dumbo! -Britt

He doesn't respond after that, and I assume he is learning something important now or doing a project. The hands on the clock crawl slowly toward 12:00, lunch time. When the bell rings, I bolt for the lunch line. Lunch today is a sorry excuse for grilled cheese. I throw away the sandwich, but decide to eat the wilted salad, brownie, and apple juice. I slide into my seat on the end across from Ethan.

"How was class?" he asks, taking a bite from his sandwich.
"Boring and useless... How bout you?"
"Same," he replies.
His eyes are on his food, so my own wander his flawless face. I find myself wanting to touch his jawline; I am positive it would cut me. How can someone be this cute? My daydreams are interrupted by Ethan's voice.
"I have a kind of a difficult question for you- Why do you think Grayson and Haley hate you so much?" he asks.
I close my eyes tightly and fight off tears. I guess I had to eventually talk about this with him.