Moving... Shifting

“Gerald, can you please come in my office please?” Sir Gabby said.

“Sarah, I need to talk to you as well,” Ms. Malou said.

They looked at each other and stood up to go to their boss’ respective offices. They stayed there for a good thirty minutes. Sarah came out first and sat on her chair. She stared at her computer monitor with a huge grin. A few minutes later, Gerald exited Sir Gabby’s office. His face was, well… troubled.

As he sat down, she got up and walked to his side of the cubicle. She sat on his visitor’s chair, her gaze never leaving his face. “Anong problema?”

“Wala,” he flatly said.

“Wala pero gan’yan ang mukha mo. Anong sabi sa ‘yo?”

“Ano muna ang sabi sa ‘yo?” he asked.

Her face suddenly lit up as she excitedly said, “I got promoted.  I’m now a supervisor and we’re gonna get a staff for me.”

His face lit up as well when he heard the good news. “That’s so great! Congratulations!”

“Ikaw naman, anong sabi sa ‘yo?”

His smile started to fade. “Well, I got promoted, too.”

“Ayun naman pala eh. Bakit naman gan’yan ang mukha mo?”

“They said with my educational background and my performance in my current position, I have a potential in managing my own branch. Sa, I will be transferred to Paranaque. A new branch will be opened there and they are giving it to me to head.”

She couldn’t understand her feelings when she heard of the news. She was happy for him for what he has accomplished but felt “strange” at the thought that they would no longer be working together. “Wow! Ang galing mo naman. Congratulations!” she said trying hard to sound excited.

“Bakit parang ang saya mo naman masyado?”

“Masaya lang ako for you. Biruin mo branch head material ka pala.”

“Yeah.”

“Ano ka ba? Bakit ka ba malungkot? Ang ganda-ganda ng balita natin sa isa’t isa pero nakasimangot ka.”

Before Gerald could reply, Sir Gabby and Ms. Malou appeared at the entrance of the cubicle. “Are you both ready? Let’s go?” Ms. Malou asked.

Sarah stood up and grabbed her shoulder bag. “Okay na po ako.”

Gerald stood up as well. “I’m ready.”

Their immediate superiors, to celebrate their promotion, have decided to invite the two for a special lunch. This, actually, is not the first time that the four of them went out for lunch together. If one was celebrating his/her birthday or a special thing happened that involved their department, they would surely be out for lunch. And this time certainly fell under the special-thing-happening category.  The four of them decided to try the newly opened Mediterranean restaurant near their office building. And while waiting for their orders to arrive, Sir Gabby gave them another news.