The Nearness of You

The following day, right after attending a morning mass, Sarah and Gerald brought Cassie to Jollibee for their weekly “family day.”

“Cassie, have you done your homework already?” Gerald asked.

“Yes Daddy Ge,” the little girl casually replied.

Sarah and Gerald looked at each other with surprise on their faces. This was the first time that they heard her call him that and this brought them both speechless.

Cassie noticed the sudden silence that she looked at her mom and Daddy Ge. “I’m sorry. Ayaw mo bang tawagin kita ng daddy?”

“No Princess, it’s not like that. Of course I want you to call me Daddy Ge kaya lang baka ayaw ng daddy mo that you call me like that. Kung ako lang ang masusunod, gusto ko na ‘yon ang itawag mo sa akin. Kung pwede lang ba totoong anak na lang kita eh.”

“Don’t worry, I’ve already asked permission from Dad. He said that as long as it’s okay with you then it’s okay with him. Pero sabi n’ya I should ask permission from you first.”

“Kailan mo nakausap ang daddy mo?” Sarah asked.

“Kahapon po. He called when you were at the wedding.” Cassie then turned to Gerald. “So can I call you Daddy Ge?”

“Mommy Sa, can Cassie call me Daddy Ge?”

“Bakit ako ang tinatanong mo? Sagutin mo ang tanong nung bata.”

“Kagaya nga ng sinabi ko, kung ako lang ay walang problema. I need to know what you think kasi this concerns your daughter.”

“Mommy, please,” Cassie pleaded.

Sarah looked at Gerald and Cassie first before giving her answer. “Pwede naman. Wala namang problema kung sinabi mo naman pala sa Dad mo.”

“Yey!” Gerald and Cassie said in unison.

“Thanks Mom!”

“Thank you Ma!”

“No need to say thank you to me.”

“Since our princess said she’s done with her homework, why don’t the two of you come with me to the mall after this,” he announced.

“What are we going to do there?” she asked.

“I need to buy stuff for my Cebu trip. Samahan n’yo na lang ako para siguradong wala akong makalimutan.”

“Daddy Ge, you’re going to Cebu? When? How long will you be gone?”

“Yes Baby. I’ll be leaving for Cebu on Tuesday and I will be staying there for a month.”

“Ang tagal naman. Can’t we come with you? I’m gonna miss you. Sino na ang kasama namin ni Mommy pumunta dito sa Jollibee next week?”

Gerald looked at Sarah before turning his attention back to the little girl. “Ah… Cass, for the meantime it will be just you and your mom. But as soon as I arrive from Cebu, I will bring you here. I promise.”

“Will you call us everyday?” Cassie asked next.

“Of course I will. I’ll call you every night para siguradong makakausap ko kayong dalawa ng mommy mo. Mamimiss ko rin naman kayo eh. I know I’m gonna miss you so much. ‘Wag ka na malungkot Baby. If I miss one night of giving you a call, you can give me punishment when I get back.”

“Totoo?”

“Totoo? Kahit anong parusa okay lang sa akin.”

The little girl thought about it for a short while and then said, “Okay!”