Ignored

“Ma, did you put my toiletries in the bag?” Gerald asked as he zipped his luggage.

“Moooom!” Cassie cried when she entered their bedroom.  

Sarah immediately turned her head to the direction of the door to see her daughter’s problem – she couldn’t fix her hair properly. She smiled as she looks from the little girl to the grown man, who were both asking for her help. “A typical day,” she said under her breath. It was a typical day indeed… and it has been like this for over a month now. Her life being a part-time wife/mom and part-time businesswoman usually starts with something like this.

About 3 months ago, Gerald made another proposition to Sarah. He asked her to stop working to focus on Cassie. He also said that it would be the perfect time to work on the “additional” family member that they’ve been wanting to have. She was a bit hesitant at first for she didn’t want to be stuck at home doing nothing when Gerald and Cassie are out of the house. But it turned out that this doesn’t have to be the case. Instead of selling the convenience store business, her parents decided to give it to her to manage. And now that the elders had gone on full retirement in their province, she is in full control of the business.

So on a typical day, Gerald and Cassie would be rushing to get themselves ready in the morning. Sarah was always on her toes as well because her help was always needed. And once the two were out of the house, it’s her time to prepare for work. She has also learned to drive, on his insistence. On certain mornings, when he would have an early meeting, she would be the one to bring Cassie to school. In the afternoon, she would leave the store at exactly 2 o’clock to fetch her daughter, who gets out at 3.     

Today, she will be driving Cassie to school then dropping Gerald off at the airport for his trip to Davao. She first took a deep breath before replying to him. “Yes Da. Everything’s there.”

“Thanks Ma.”

“Mom, can you please help me with my hair?”

“Come here. Ano ba kasi ang gusto mong mangyari sa buhok mo?”

“I was trying to braid it but I can’t.”

“Sit on the bed so I can fix it.”

“Daddy, how long will you be gone this time?” the little girl asked.

“Just a few days. I will be here on Saturday. You can come with Mom when she picks me up from the airport then we can have a family day in MOA. What do you say?”

“Yeeeey! Promise?”

“I promise.”

“Can I ask you to buy something for me? I promise it’s not expensive.”

“Cassie…” Sarah said.

“It’s okay Ma. What is Baby Girl?”

“Daddy, I’m not a baby anymore. Please don’t call me that.”

Gerald looked at his wife who was smiling from ear to ear while shaking her head. “Ayaw mo na ng Princess. Ngayon ayaw mo rin ng Baby Girl. What can I call you now?”

“Something else but not cupcake.”

“Cupcake? Anong meron sa cupcake?” Sarah asked.

“Gian calls me Cupcake,” Cassie replied with a smile.

“Gian? Who’s Gian?” Gerald asked with a raised voice.

“Our next door neighbor. I play with him in the afternoon. He’s really nice you know, Daddy.”

“Your braid is done. Let’s continue this conversation in the car. We’re all gonna be late,” Sarah interrupted.

“No, let’s not continue this conversation ever. Cassie, go get your bag,” Gerald commanded. When the little girl was out of earshot he said to Sarah, “Really Ma? Gian? Do you know anything about this?”