Beginnings

Gerald stood near the exit doors of the airport waiting for Sarah and Cassie. He went back to the Philippines a few days ahead of them because of work. And while they were still in the US, he made arrangements for his new family. Yes, they are now officially a family. A few days before he went home, they drove to Las Vegas to get married.

Flashback

Christmas Day

“Mark, right after we clean up after dinner, we’re going home. Okay?” Sarah said.

“What’s the rush?”

“We’ve got plans tomorrow.”

“So ngayong nandito na si Gerald ay hindi na tuloy ang mga original plans natin?”

Sarah looked at Gerald before answering Mark. “He will only be here for a few days so we’ll take advantage of that time to do things together. Pagkauwi ni Ge, pwede naman natin gawin ‘yung ibang plans mo.”

“Ah Sarah, I’m going to tell you something. I’ve been thinking about this for some time now. I hope you will consider this.” She nodded at Mark to go on. “You see, I really want to be a part of my daughter’s life. And I don’t want it to be the kind which just lets me call her all the time.”

“What are you trying to say?”

“I want Cassie to stay with me for a while. She can study here.”

Sarah and Gerald’s eyes grew big. “Nahihibang ka na ba?” she said.

“Pare, kung gusto mo lang talaga na makasama si Cassie palagi I will guarantee you that you will be able to. Kung hindi ka pwedeng umuwi sa Pilipinas, kami na lang ang pupunta dito. Hindi naman ‘ata kailangan na maiwan pa ang bata dito,” Gerald said.

“I am still her father. I still have a right,” Mark sternly said.

“Akala ko ba nagkasundo na tayo? Ano ba talaga ang gusto mong palabasin?” Sarah angrily replied.

“Look, I don’t want this to get ugly. Gusto ko lang s’ya makasama ng matagal. We can talk about this in court kung talagang magmamatigas kayo sa akin. And I will do everything I can to win.”

Sarah stood up. “Then we’ll just see you in court. Umuwi ka sa Pilipinas. Doon mo subukang kunin ang anak ko. At ‘wag mong ipagmamalaki sa akin na mas marami kang pera para kaya makukuha mo si Cassie. Kahit ikahirap ko pa ang pagbabayad ng abogado, gagawin ko ‘wag lang mapunta sa walang kwentang tao ang anak ko.” She then turned to Gerald, “Da, I think it’s time to leave. Wala akong panahong makipagplastikan sa taong ito.”

Gerald watched Sarah leave the room while calling out to Cassie. He slowly stood up. “Pare, ang dami nang binigay na chance sa ‘yo ni Sarah para ayusin ang relationship n’yong tatlo but you just want to have your way. Well, there’s nothing more I can do to help you. At tama siya, we’ll just see you in court. Pero ito lang ang sasabihin ko sa ‘yo. Sisiguraduhin ko sa ‘yong hindi mapupunta si Cassie sa ‘yo,” he said then followed Sarah.

That night, after she tucked Cassie to bed, they stayed at the kitchen having coffee while talking about what happened at Mark’s house.

“Da, do you know a lawyer in the Philippines who can help us with this?”

“I’ll call Dad, I’m sure may kilala s’yang pwedeng tumulong sa atin.” Sarah kept quiet and stared at her coffee cup. “Ma, you know I won’t let Mark take Cassie away from us. We will fight him. I promised Mark to take care of you and that’s what I’m going to do… even if it’s from him.”