When Days Turn to Nights

“Mommy, are you Tito Gerald’s girlfriend?”

Gerald and Sarah turned to each other. He gave her a sweet smile, she rolled her eyes on him. “Who told you that?”

“I heard the grown-ups saying it at the party.”

“Di ba I told you not to listen to conversation of grown-ups?”

“Mommy, I heard it by accident.”

“By accident ka d’yan. And what do you know about girlfriends?”

“Mommy, I’m not a baby anymore. I’m already seven years old. Si Lauren nga po boyfriend na n’ya si James eh.”

“What?!” Sarah said in shock.

He leaned a little to her and whispered, “Sino si Lauren at James?”

She whispered back, “Bestfriend in class n’ya si Lauren, classmate din nila si James.” Then she turned to her daughter again. “Don’t tell me you have a boyfriend in class also.”

“Of course not Mommy. Boys are yucky. Si Tito Ge lang ang hindi yucky,” she beamed.

“That’s my princess,” he cheerfully said then faced front and turned on the engine.

The vehicle started moving. Sarah didn’t say anything anymore. And just when they thought that the subject has been dropped, the little one was at it again. “Mommy, you didn’t answer my question yet.”

“What question?”

“If you are Tito Ge’s girlfriend. You know guys, it’s just okay with me. Baka God sent Tito Ge to answer my prayer.”

“Guys?” Sarah said. “Since when did you start using the word ‘guys’?”

“Mommy naman, lahat ng questions ko you are answering with another question,” she complained.

“Eh kasi naman nakakaloka ka kausap eh.”

All this time he was just listening to the conversation. He didn’t realize that spending time with the two was really fun. He made a mental note to do it more often. Up until they pulled up in front of Sarah’s house, the mother-daughter tandem was still into their discussion.

“O say thank you to Tito Ge,” Sarah commanded.

“Thank you Tito Ge.”

“You’re welcome princess.”

“When are you coming back to visit me again?” Cassie sweetly asked.

“Cassie, Tito Gerald and I have work. He cannot visit you all the time.”

“Baby, I cannot promise to come by everyday pero next Saturday I’ll bring you and your mom to Jollibee again. Is that okay?”