In My Eyes

“Daddy Ge, can’t you really come with us?”

“I’m sorry baby but I really can’t. My boss won’t let me. But I’ll try to make his mind change. Are you gonna miss me?”

“Of course,” Cassie tearfully replied.

He scooped her up in his arms and gave the little girl a hug. “I’m gonna miss you, too. Don’t worry we’re gonna call each other everyday. And ask Mommy to send me pictures okay?” When Cassie nodded he turned to face Sarah. “Ma, take extra care there ha. Wala ako doon to protect you.”

“I know Da. Bakit ba kasi hindi ka pinayagan eh.”

“Ma, alam mo naman kung bakit di ba?”

“Eh paano ka dito? Wala kang kasama sa Christmas.”

“I can always hangout with my friends or visit relatives.”

“Mag-ingat ka din dito habang wala kami ha. Walang mag-aalaga sa ‘yo.”

“I will Ma,” he said.

“You have Mark’s address already, right? For in case you get allowed to go on leave.”

“Opo, I saved it on my phone. But don’t expect too much, okay? I just don’t want to disappoint you and Cassie.”

They suddenly heard their flight being called out. The signal for them to say their last goodbyes. And in no time, he saw Cassie and Sarah walk away from him and through the automatic glass doors.

********

“We went to the Disneyland Daddy Ge. I saw Sofia the First. Mommy said she’ll send you my picture with Princess Sofia…” Cassie animatedly rambled on.

Gerald stared at the little girl with a smile as he listened to her tell stories of their adventures of the day. “It seems like you’re really enjoying your vacation.”

“Opo Daddy Ge but I know it’ll be more fun if you were also here with us. Si Mommy and Daddy Mark kasi are always talking. Minsan hindi nila ako sinasamahan sa rides. They just stay there on the side and watch me while they’re talking. Kung ikaw ang kasama namin I’m sure you’re gonna go on the rides with me.”

“They’re always talking?”

“Opo. Hindi ka pa po ba pupunta dito? Have you made your boss’ mind change yet?”

“I’m still working on it baby.”

“Okay. Here’s Mom now. She wants to talk to you already.”

Gerald saw Cassie face leave the screen and got replaced by Sarah’s. “Hi Da! I miss you.”

“Hi Gorgeous. I miss you, too,” he weakly replied.

“O, bakit ganyan ang mood mo?”

“I’m just tired and terribly missing you.”

“Aaaaww… Da you’re making me miss you even more. Nakakainis ka.”

“So, kamusta naman ang vacation n’yo?”

“Having fun so far. Kinwento ba sa ‘yo ni Cassie ang Disneyland adventures namin?”

“Uh-huh.”

“It was so tiring but we had fun.”

“I bet you are,” he mumbled.

********

A few more days pass. They continued with their daily routine. No matter what time it was, he made sure to get in touch with them. It was the only way to ease up the insecurity that was building up inside of him every time Cassie would mention Sarah and Mark talking. One day he felt that sudden urge to go to them and be with them. He asked his boss one more time to let him go on leave even for a few days. It took him a while before finally getting his boss to say yes. Right after that he got on his laptop and searched for a flight to LA. He immediately found one and booked it.

In the US, Cassie was outside the house playing with some kids who will live in the neighborhood. Sarah and Mark were inside the house having coffee. They were seated across each other on the breakfast nook when he suddenly blurted out, “Sarah, wala na bang chance for us?”

“Mark, we’ve had this conversation before.”

“I know but being with you and Cassie these past few days makes me want you back badly. Sa palagay ko I deserve a second chance.”

“It’s not that simple anymore. I’m with Gerald now. He’s a great guy. He takes care of Cassie and me. He treats Cassie like her own daughter. Wala akong maipipintas sa kanya. He’s not a perfect person but he’s so perfect for us.”

“But I am Cassie’s real father. Mas may karapatan ako kaysa sa kanya.”

“Baka nakakalimutan mong iniwan mo kami… kinalimutan mo kami. Lahat ng karapatan mo para sa pamilyang ito ay nawala the moment you turned your back on us. Pasalamat ka nga at pinayagan pa kitang maging parte ng buhay ni Cassie eh.”

“So why did you agree to come here kung wala ka naman palang balak makipagbalikan sa akin?”

“Ano?! ‘Yan ba ang akala mo? Na kaya kami pumunta dito ay para buuin ang pamilya natin? Nababaliw ka ba?”

“So kung hindi ‘yon, bakit ka nandito?”

“We came here because you said you wanted to be with Cassie. I am just giving you a chance to be her dad.”

“Do you honestly believe that I would buy that crap?” Mark leaned forward so that his face would be so close to hers. “Look into my eyes and tell me that you have no feelings for me anymore.”

Sarah did as she was told but she couldn’t see Mark…. for she only saw the beautiful brown eyes of Gerald.

Gerald quietly walked inside the house with Cassie and found Sarah and Mark’s face so close to each other. He heard the part when Mark asked Sarah to tell him that she no longer has feelings for him. He told Cassie to go play outside again and said that he’ll just be the one to surprise her mom. He waited for her reply.

“You can’t even say it out loud,” Mark said then leaned more to kiss her.

At this point, Gerald walked out of the house.

Sarah pushed Marked away from him and angrily said, “What is the matter with you? Hindi ikaw ang mahal ko. Si Gerald… si Gerald lang ang mahal ko. We are engaged and I am getting married to him. I don’t have feelings for you anymore. Matagal na. Alam mo akala ko talaga we can still be friends for the sake of our child pero with the way you’re acting, it’s pretty obvious that we can’t. I’m packing our stuff. We’re checking in a hotel. Ayaw na kitang makasama.” Then she left the room.