CHAPTER 2

I woke up earlier than usual, took a shower and prepared myself for a date. I was forcefully going on a date because Jay thought it had been too long since I had went out with someone that wasn't my brother and fell in love. He was not wrong but I was not focused on finding love. I agreed to the date in order for him to stop bringing the issue up.

After applying minimal make-up, I wore a short black dress with a plunging neckline and 5 inch black stilettos.

I headed for the door but a voice stopped me before I opened it. "Where do you think you are going dressed like a hooker?" He asked scanning my outfit and scrunching his nose at my choice.

I rolled my eyes. I was unbothered by his words because he always had something negative to say about my clothes, especially when I went out with a companion. "Morning to you too brother. I'm going out." I quickly said before I went out.

I reluctantly caught a taxi and it dropped me off at a lavish restaurant.

I nervously walked in the restaurant. "Please don't be a serial killer." I murmured to myself once I spotted my date.

"Hey you made it, nice to finally meet you." Logan said as I approached him. I met him online and I was hesitant to go out with him because Jay had bad experiences with online dating.

If I had known he would be hotter in person than on his profile I would've agreed to that a long time ago. With a chiselled jaw, tan skin, shoulder length blonde hair, cerulean blue eyes he put my exes to shame.

"It's nice to meet you too." I replied politely before taking a seat in front of him.

"I hope you don't mind that I ordered a drink for you."

I shook my head, "that's  okay." I dismissed him and opened the menu. I carefully looked through it and instantly became confused at what to order. I usually ordered salads but I barely frequented expensive classy restaurants and I knew I didn't want to spare any expense.
"Mr Evans, are you ready to order?" The waitress asked politely.

"I'll have the salmon fume crepe and she'll have the sweet sausage with mesclun salad." He said.

"Excuse me." I called out to her before she left.

"I'd actually like the club sandwich." She nodded and left. I didn't appreciate the fact that he ordered for me without my consent.

"You could've asked if I wanted a sausage crepe before ordering for me." I said accusingly.

"I just thought you'd like a healthy meal. I'm used to women eating salads on the first date."

I chucked bitterly. "I like salads but I also like other options." Logan and I were already clashing over food and I felt it wouldn't be the first time that he would try to control me. "Forget about it anyway. It's just food." I was slightly annoyed but I wouldn't let it ruin the date.

"Why do you prefer meeting people online?" I changed the subject.

"My job is demanding and online dating has worked better for me than traditionally meeting a person and involving them
in my dangerous life." He answered with ease.

I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion at his last statement. "After meeting a person online you get to know them and eventually involve them in your life so how is that any different?"

"It's easier for me to meet a person who I'm interested in and vice versa and whether I involve them in my life or not depends on how far my relations with that person go." He answered calmly. I nodded at his answer somewhat understanding the ease of meeting people.

He took that as an indication to change the subject and we spoke about lighter topics throughout the rest of brunch.

"So you seriously thought I was a serial killer?" He asked in disbelief after we finished our meal.

"Yes I did, looks can be deceiving but when you said you are a private investigator I kind of let it go." I admitted even though I didn't want to. He didn't look scary or intimidating however he could still be dangerous.

"I mean come on, you really think this face is made for killing?" He pointed at himself with a cocky grin.

I raised an eyebrow at him unimpressed. "Cocky much?"

"I try" he winked at me before he paid the bill.

He stopped at my apartment block and walked me to my door. "Do people still live here?" He muttered to himself.

"Yes people do still live here. Do you have a problem with that?" I asked, defending the slump of an apartment building I lived in.

It may have been run down but it was as good a home as ridiculously expensive apartments. "I'm sorry that came out wrong, I am merely curious. I used to live in a slump like this while growing up."

'I'm sure you did' I thought to myself sarcastically. "The good old days huh?" I asked instead.

He chuckled as if remembering all the things he did, "Yeah, so did you start living here when you left Southern Africa?" I stopped in my tracks and turned to him "How do you know where I'm from?"

He also stopped and looked at me slowly "I kinda checked up on you." His face turned a shade of red at his embarrassment.

I chuckled trying to make it less awkward. "So Mr P.I what else do you know about me?" I changed the subject trying to lighten the mood.

"Nothing more." He said quickly, clearly thinking I was mad.

"Hmm" I responded knowing he was lying, that was a topic for another day.

We reached my door and he looked at me intently. "I enjoyed today and I hope I can see you again?"

"I'd love that." I said almost immediately. "I'll pick you up tomorrow, wear casual."

"Tomorrow?" I asked confused at his sudden urge to see me again. "Yes. We're both busy people. Plus I have meetings back to back until late. See you tomorrow." He said and leaned in for a kiss.

I quickly turned my face away and he kissed me on my cheek. "I don't kiss on the first date." I smirked.

"I guess I can't wait for tomorrow then." He smiled triumphantly at me and I felt tingles on my skin.

"Tomorrow." I mirrored his triumphant smile as he walked away.

I closed the door after I got in and slumped on the floor. "What have I gotten myself into?"

"Is that a thong?" my annoying brother asked me.

I squeaked startled by his presence and realised he was talking about what my under garment. I blushed and covered myself as best as I could.

"You're a yummy mummy after all?" He smirked enjoying embarrassing me.

"Shut up Kwano. Where's Nali?" I asked standing up.

"She's somewhere around here." He said looking around.

I looked at him wide eyed "You lost my baby?"

"Mama" A cheerful squeal followed as a little girl hugged my feet.

"Hey baby." I said as I picked her up and coddled her.

"Mama kwa-kwa hit me" she wrapped her arms around my neck and laid her head on my shoulder.

Before I gave him a fake scolding someone knocked on the door and I heard one of his girlfriends shouting his name. "I'll deal with you later." I said and went to my room.