CHAPTER 5

"Lonicka, office now!" Mr Valenti ordered as he entered the club.

"Am I in trouble again?" I asked him when I entered his office after him.

He looked at me from his desk. "No, I want you to accompany me to Italy as my assistant tomorrow. No questions asked." He had a panic stricken tone to his voice.

"I think you're forgetting something, I'm not your assistant and what if I have plans?"

"I said no questions asked, cancel them." He sternly said.

I looked at him incredulously "I can't, find someone else. I don't have a babysitter."

"A babysitter for what?" He hissed out becoming upset that I was complicating things.

"My daughter, are we done here?" He looked a little appalled but he quickly covered it with a stoic expression.

"Arrange something if you don't want to lose your job."

"So you're using the job card huh? That's a low even for you."

His next words made me regret opening my big mouth to question his authority. "You don't know me. I could ruin your life in the snap of a finger making sure nobody in this city ever hires you so are we clear?" He growled.

'What crawled up his ass?' I thought rolling my eyes. He did look out of the ordinary, as if he was worried. I scoffed, he was not the type to worry.

"Yes boss" I said then walked out of his office. I had a bad feeling about Italy and my intuition never let me down.

***
"Please Kwano I have no one else I can ask." I pleaded for the nth time.

"No, you know I have this important trial run in Atlanta to do." He said refusing to babysit Naledi.

"What if you don't get the job? Do you want me to trust my daughter with a stranger? Do this for Nali please."

I had no other choice but to ask him. Jay loved Naledi but he was unreliable at times. Kwano was truly the one I trusted for the job.

He finally gave in, "Fine I'll take her with me but next time I'm not doing this for you."

"Thank you. I owe you one." I hugged him. He tried to hide his grin but failed miserably "Anything for you big sis."

"Please come back in one piece." I swayed him from side to side. Given his history with alcohol abuse. I hoped he would be responsible and not go back to drinking. Letting him go to another state alone was always hard on me to deal with. He hadn't been the same after my kidnapping and I didn't want him to relapse.

He gave a low chuckle. "When have I never." I chuckled too knowing I could trust him. He was good with Naledi and she loved him.

***

"I want to take you somewhere tomorrow." Logan said. We were currently having lunch at a local diner, which was more of my choice.

I hesitated deciding I should tell him against my better judgement. "I have to go to on a business trip tomorrow with my boss."

He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "A business trip for what?"

I shrugged "I have no idea, he won't let me ask."

"When are you coming back? Where are you going?" He looked concerned.

"What's with the questions, relax. Can we please talk about something not related to me or this trip?" I feigned a stressed look knowing he might look more into it.

"I'm sorry I'm just curious. I don't see the need of going on a business trip. I mean you work at a night club after all so why should you go?"

I remained silent and he changed the subject. My mind kept going back to the conversation I had with my boss. Why was I going on a 'no questions' asked trip to Italy?

"You wanna go to my place after this for some Netflix and chill?" He had a boyish grin, suggesting what I hope he wasn't.

"Netflix and chill? You can't be serious. Is that still a thing?"

He gave a nervous laugh. "Well I thought we could both relieve stress. Anything you prefer."

I gave an uncomfortable look. Thinking of having sex reminds me of that day and I don't think I'm ready to confront it or talk about it.

"That's if you're comfortable with it. I won't force you to do anything you don't want." He smiled sheepishly.

"I'd rather take it slow for now." I said with a small smile.

He held my hands "I understand." He gave a comforting grin, stroking my hands with his thumbs.

I occasionally smiled and attempted a conversation the rest of the evening but it was quite hard without thinking about my dreadful handsome boss who I love to hate and the prospect of having sex again.

"Loni? Loni are listening?" His voice snapped me out of my thoughts. Just great now he's invading my thoughts.

"Uh, what did you say?" I tried to play it off, hoping he didn't know a certain somebody was on my mind. I hoped he thought it was the sex issue bothering me.

He looked genuinly concerned "I asked if you're okay, you've been eating your drink."