CHAPTER 14

I heard Marco come into the room a few hours after dinner. I heard rustling around and the bed dipped when he joined me. He let out a frustrated sigh and typed away on his phone.

"What does capo mean?" I asked as I turned to face him. He looked at me startled as to why I was awake. "I've been sleeping too much, it's becoming hard to considering my daughter is out there fearing for her life." I said answering his question.

He put his phone away and laid on his back. "I'm doing everything in my power to find her and don't remind me that it is my fault that she is in this mess. I know it is my fault." He rubbed his eyes and huffed.

I had nothing to say to him after that. He owned up to the fact that we're in this mess because of him. I was living my life peacefully with my daughter before he appeared in my life again. As long as he is involved with dangerous people, my daughter and I would never be safe.

"You know it still feels surreal that we're here, however unconventional the situation is. When I stopped visiting you after you gave birth to Naledi I was doing it for your safety. Your life was hell when we were engaged and I wondered why you stayed with me a lot. I was juggling my business endeavours and the mafia on one hand and your safety on the other.

I don't want to tell you about your past to protect you, the same mafioso that have our daughter threatened to kidnap you numerous times when you were pregnant. You knew things about my business dealings and they wanted that information for themselves to use against me and force me into..."

He stopped and looked at me to check if I was still awake. It was refreshing to hear him open up to me about something. I don't remember much of him but I knew that it was hard for him to say that. It brought a familiar warmth in me and I scooted close to him.

"Logan was sent to me from the mafioso to gain information about me and you." I said matter of factly.

He nodded, "he's a good kid but Giorgi's influence on him was deadly. He always wanted to fit in the mafia because he was known as the consultant. He wanted to be made." I put my arm under my head and faced him astonished at what he knew about Logan. I then remembered that he was involved with the mafia, he must know a lot.

We laid in a comfortable silence. I stared at the ceiling until I succumbed to sleep.

***

"Marco do you have a plan?" He remained silent as he shuffled though papers in his desk. He had ignored me like the plague the past few days because I kept asking about Naledi. I forcefully insisted on helping in the search for my brother and my daughter but he would not let me.

I finally cornered him in his office by asking his housekeeper to lock us in his office so we could talk. "If you're going to keep ignoring my presence then you should know that we're stuck here." I sat at a nearby table and began reading my mother's journal.

It was the only possession of hers I kept and luckily Kwano had kept it safe for me. I never gave myself time to finish reading it, I procastinated for years and now I found it suiting to read it however unconventional the situation is.

As I read the final pages of the book I came across a letter addressed to me. It was rewritten in Zulu and was a bit smudged here and there.

Dear Thando lam

If you're reading this I want you to know that your father loved you very much and I am sorry I could not join you in America. I know you will make a success of yourself my smart girl. I believe in you.

I always dreamed that you will be a lawyer living in the big city with three children. You always loved childen when you were young. I have no doubt that your father will take care of you and your brother. I must confess that I have been keeping a secret from you for all these years and I am deeply sorry.