Unspoken (Watty Awards 2011) Chapter ten: My birthday gift

• Dedicated to Dallas Lee Williams

August 26th                                                                                                    Chapter Ten             

Still not being able to shake the feeling off, I force myself to practice my solo. It feels like it needs work still. Even though I know it’s perfect. Perfect is never enough! I remind myself as the music begins.

After what seems like ages, the song is over. I’m on the floor, breathing heavily and closing my eyes. I need to relax and just think. And I know, I think all the time. But when I think, I think about life and deepness. Right now, I need to think like a normal kid my age thinks. Friends, family, love, life, dance, writing, art. It’s all too much.

Suddenly, I hear it. Clapping. But I was alone….

And then laughter. But not any laughter. Her laughter. Lee’s. Great. What was she doing here?

With a smirk, she emerged from the wing and her annoying voice vibrated off the walls. “So you wanna take Rosie from me?” I gulp and shake my head. Yes, I was afraid of that girl. “Rosie is mine. Don’t you get it?” she demands, taking a few deadly steps closer. I shake my head, not understanding what she means. “No one will ever like you! You can’t have any friends! So you need to learn that in life, I’m always gonna be the winner; you’ll be the loser on the sidelines who never wins. Just accept it and get over it.”

No. My mind insists. I’m not giving up that easily. I shake my head in protest and then she snaps, getting up in my face. “You don’t want to push me girlie. I’ll push back harder.” And for the first time, I actually push her. I push the girl away. Can’t she just be happy that I’m making friends? She has enough! She doesn’t need another follower! Everyone wants to be her! Even me at times! It annoyed the crap out of me. And she laughed. Lee Williams laughed at me.

“You think that hurt. Trust me loser, you’ll feel this.” She hisses, punching me several times. I don’t flinch. I stare straight ahead, conserving my pride. At least she can’t see the hurt I’m holding.

“Flinch Damnit!” she yells, shoving me. I gasp and look behind me. But it’s too late. I don’t realize it in time. A hard object hits my head and I wince in response.

I watch Lee curse and run off the stage and away from me. Well as fast as a girl can in tight to the tenth power jeans and high wedges. Why? I wonder dizzily. Then I feel it. The blood. Before I can think of what to do I feel it close in on me.

“Happy fucking birthday, you bitch.”

And the blackness eats away my soul…