Angels in the Night: Chapter Five

Chapter Five

I walk into school the next day, still dazed from everything that happened the day before. It couldn’t’ be possible. It must’ve been a dream. But that notion disappears when Hailey winks at me in the hallway. Then it hits me. Everything was real. Dane. Hailey. Nephilium. Demmonan. The prophecy.

Oh. My. God!!!!

I’ve found someone like me!!! I’m not a freak anymore!!!

Well, I’m still a freak, but now I’m not alone!

“Lucia!” Bree snaps.

Oh right, I was supposed to be listening.

“What the hell, Looch? You’ve been totally out of it lately.” Her face softens. “Are you ok?” Not in much of a mood to talk with Bree, I shrug. “And what’s wit that wink from Hailey? Is there something I should know?” Her eyebrows wiggle up and down. This is getting old. “Like I thought I was your friend…” Bree’s voice turns into an annoyingly high whine. “Cause Hailey’s just a bitch compared to me.”

“You know what, Bree?” I snap. “Hailey isn’t the bitch. You are. I’ve been wanting to say this for so long!!” All the bottled up anger suddenly escapes. So fast, I can’t even control what I’m saying. “It always has to be about shallow Bree! No one else matters if Bree has issues. And you ALWAYS have them! I’m not the only one who thinks it. Your “friends” think it too! They just don’t have the balls to say it. So just shut up! I’m done with you Bree!”

By the time my shouting is complete, a huge crowd of students surround us. But it’s over. I’ve said it all.

“Step aside, students.” Mrs. Hager, the meanest teacher, shouts. Instantly, all the students disperse, leaving me face to face with a fat, short, sweaty, and garlic-breathy teacher. Before she can open her mouth rimmed with rotting yellow teeth, I take one last whiff of the clean, un-garlic scented air.

“Come with me, Lucia. You’re going to the office.”

:*:                                                                                                          :*:

Apparently, the principal has “informed my guardians” about today’s “problem.” And apparently, the schools obese guidance counselor has confirmed that I have “anger management” problems. Let’s put miss chubby bunny in my shoes: assaulted as a child, “sold” about twelve times, and having to put up with the crap of high school. And even if I did have anger management, it wouldn’t be a surprise considering my past.

April and Tom are sitting in the living room, stern looks on both of their faces.

“Come take a seat, Lucia.” Tom’s voice is firm, judgmental. I know my fate before they announce it. “We got a call from the principal today. Heard you yelled at a purr innocent girl. A friend of yours, actually.” His face grows redder with every breath. April bursts into tears, not even looking at me.

“Lucia we were never told of your…condition…” Tom’s voice trails off. So now, I’m mentally unstable? I have a condition? “But we can’t live with someone like your type. It’ll only tear this family apart.”

Oh my God. This family was screwed up before I came here!

“April and I have your bags packed. It’s time for you to leave, Lucia.” Tom stands now, glaring down at me. I open my mouth to defend myself, but he won’t let me.

“It’d be easier if you didn’t put up a fight.” He walks me out to the car.

There goes my last chance. I look back for the final time, getting a last glance at my only chance for redemption…