Angels in the Night: Chapter Sixteen

Nicky and I were sitting in our room after unpacking my suitcase. I had been going off on the whole flying experience for the past thirty minutes or so. Nicky had been kinda out of it.

“Lucia.” She finally said, walking to the window. “I thought it was a little early to tell you this, but…”

“What?”

“Lately in our world, there’s been one calamity after another.”

“Calamity?” I repeated.

“Like the strange shadow mist, the mention of Mai with that one Demmonan, and then when she actually showed herself tonight and almost killed you.”

She paused, turning to face me.

“Although I don’t know all the details now, there is a region in our world where we don’t’ know what’s going on.”

“That’s…” I began.

“That’s why you, the Chosen Nephilium, must call out for Mary, the Queen of Heaven.”

The bell rings the next day, and I hurriedly walk to class.

“Lucia!” A voice stops me. I turn around a gawk. Ace, the most popular boy is talking to me. I had kinda sorta liked him, and we occasionally talked, but the only reason he’d ever talk to me is because he can tell I’m different.

Though I highly doubt that.

“Dancing in the Streets is starting up in a few days. Do you wanna go together? I’ll show you this really cool place that only a few people know about.” He offered.

I thought for a moment, trying to think of what I should say. Is this a date?! Holy crap what do I wear?! What should I say?! What am I going to tell Dane!?!?!!?

“Uh…sure!” I decided, smiling as we walked together.

“Hey Lucia!” Hailey whispered getting my attention. I had been looking out the window, daydreaming about Ace. “What are you spacing out for?” I blushed and giggled. “Don’t just giggle! What were you and Ace talking about?”

“I’m going on a date!” I whispered back.

Hailey then yanked my arm and pulled me outside in front of the cafeteria.

“What are you trying to do?!”

“About what?”

“You’re still gonna date him even though you’re a Nephilium? Don’t you think it’s pathetic? An angel falling for a human male?”

“What are you talking about?!” I responded, taken aback by her harsh comments.

“Anyway, give up on that date.” Hailey snapped angrily. What was she, a lesbian?! I didn’t have any sort of feelings for her. I mean we were friends and all, but this would certainly ruin that friendship. I would not give up that date with the most popular boy in our grade.

“I won’t!” I replied stubbornly.

“If you won’t give it up, I’m coming with you.” I gaped.

“Why are you gonna come along on my date?!?!”

“Because it’ll be a problem if you unintentionally confess to him!” She threw her hands in the air.

My eyebrows furrowed.

“Have you forgotten what would happen if you confess?! We go to hell!” she shouted.

“He invited me to it! Am I supposed to just turn him down when I already agreed to go?!”

“And I’m coming along!” she snapped, storming away.