Chapter 17

'One foot in front of the other. One foot in front of the other.'

The drained Inspector recited the phrase over and over in his head as he walked towards his apartment. He tried to hold his composure, pretend like everything was alright when it was in fact the opposite. What he had seen today during his job was something he could never jump back from.

Twisting the door handle, he opened the front door with little excitement. He discarded his shoes right away and entered the small living room. His travels halted upon seeing his girlfriend, who was in the middle of unpacking a box.

"Oh, Shinya! Welcome back— What's wrong with you?" Her initial expression of joy morphed into a look of concern. "You look like someone drowned your motorbike."

It was meant as a joke, but he honestly had no energy to laugh. "Nothing. Work was rough."

She waited for him to elaborate further, but he just threw himself on the couch with no sign life. "How rough was it that you look so pale?" She crawled over to rest on his abdomen.

"I'm not in the mood to talk."

She twisted her lips. "Fine then. Don't talk." 

Having said that, she made herself more comfortable as she treated his body like a bed. He let out a growl of discomfort until he relented and made himself her pillow. He sat up and allowed her to sit on his lap, her back pressing against his chest with his arms wrapped around her waist.

"Are you sure you don't want to talk?"

"Positive."

"Alright then, I'll talk about my day," she sighed. "The first thing I did today was wake up and dance to the alarm. I usually just swat the damn thing, but I was exceptionally happy today. Wanna know why?"

"Because you're moving in with me?" he gruffly responded.

"Exactly." She tilted her head up to kiss his chin. "And then I got ready for work, went to work, and helped people. I got to talk someone out of committing suicide and now they're in therapy."

There was a long pause as Shinya glanced down at her. "Are you alright?"

She shrugged, "It's kind of hard to watch someone almost give their life away. I was close to calling you, but then I got pulled into another job. This time I was patrolling the mall and I was able to play with some kids. It was therapeutic for me."

His hold on her tightened, and he buried his face in the crook of her neck. His tense body soon relaxed into hers as he fed off the positive energy surrounding her. He didn't want to say it out loud, but being around her was the best therapy he could undergo.

"And now I'm here, unpacking my boxes. I've been waiting for you to get home so we can finally celebrate."

"What did you have in mind?"

She shifted her whole body to face him. "I bought a cake and made dinner."

"Did you really make dinner?" he quirked an eyebrow, a small smile appearing on his features.

She clicked her tongue. "The A.I. did, but I bought the cake."

He chuckled, the awful and bloody sight of today's case leaving his memories. What replaced those images were that of her smiling with a small twinkle in her eyes.

She was truly the one good thing he could think of when he thought of this society, and he was thankful that she was rooted by his side.

>>>