Chapter 1: Last Day of Summer Weekend

Author's note: here it is, Chapter 1 of "Gameday", and now that Final exams are over for now, I finally got some free time. Now, the 1st few chapters focuses on the Saturday before the 1st game week of the season!

In the Texas BFL, it was similar to any football league, except for one thing, there was no pads or helmet, just a jersey and colored sweatpants, however, injuries are rarely caused whatsoever.

It was a beautiful summer afternoon in Meadowbrook, Texas, 1997. And the first day of school was coming sooner than ever, and high school football was close to kicking off, and so was the Backyard Football League. And the Bradley Elementary School students were looking forward to the season, thinking the school will go to the County Championship this year.

Last year, a star student and star quarterback, Billy, was injured in the 4th game of the season against the arch rival, the Milton Lions at the annual rivalry classic game at Meadowbrook Community College's football stadium, where the tigers where trying to avoid a 0-4 start, and a kid named "Sherman Peabody" stepped in, having a good season in his first time playing football, throwing for a season high 398 yards, 16 passing touchdowns, however, with a mediocre offensive team, and the defense allowing more yardage in the league, the Bradley Tigers ended their season at a disappointing 4-5 season. Since then, there was a lot of pressure on the football team as the offseason progressed for the Tigers.

"This is Meadowbrook News radio "929 AM", and the Backyard Football season is about to begin soon!" A radio host was heard.

"That's right, Robbie, however, to everyone's surprise in this state, Meadowbrook's well known BFL town, the Bradley Tigers are picked to go to the BFL State Championship this winter at Arlen High School's Longhorn Stadium." Another radio host was heard.

However, this year, the students of Bradley Elementary are pretty confident, since Sherman's a good quarterback and the newly arrived Rallo Tubbs has arrived, and he's fast as ever. And with new offensive linemen such as Steven Quartz, Gunter Magmuson, Nick Dean, Kick Buttowski, and 2-way lineman Johnny Test, and with Jimmy Neutron proving himself to be a good reciever along with Baljeet Tinder, the offense has improved greatly.

"Well, with a good Quarterback such as Sherman Peabody, who had a great rookie season, why not? He had 398 passing yards, 16 Touchdown passes, why else would you think that the Tigers don't have what it takes to win the championship this year?"

"Because, the O-line have a lot to work on if they want to beat the defending BFL champions in their season opener. The Cougars had a 6-3 record and went on to win the championship."

"Yeah, and the Howard Cougars were the team that ended the Tigers season in the nail biter season finale, 13-7. And as most of everyone in town knows, that's when Sherman had a chance to take his team to the playoffs, but he was stopped one yard short of a game winning score."

"But their defense is becoming better than ever, and hopefully, this will be a great season for the Bradley Tigers. Especially with new players such as Trunks Briefs, Buford Van Stomm, Jimmy Neutron, this should hopefully be a better team than the past few seasons, the Tigers have not made the playoffs since 1992."

And speaking of the team, where are they? Well, they were at the school, getting their season uniforms, which consists of an orange jersey, and black pants, and gray cleats.

The teammates were in their practice gear, which consists of a white shirt and black shorts, the team was very sweaty after a hard workout and practice, they grabbed their jerseys, happy about getting their uniforms. And where was the star, Sherman Peabody, himself?