Chapter 21: The Kings of Wichita Falls

After a long playoff path, the Bradley Tigers of Meadowbrook where heading back to the Texas Backyard Football League State Championshp for the 1st time since 1950. However, a gigantic obstacle laid in their path to a championship win. Their opponent the coming Thanksgiving was an elementary school from Wichita Falls that had the most talent of any Elementary School Team in the great state of Texas, perhaps the best team of any state in the United States of America, the Sammy Baugh Elementary Razorbacks.

They were fast and they enjoyed the scent of victory for 13 games. Their winning reputation started in the start of the Roarin' Twenties. In 1920, when the BFL started, when the Bradley Tigers were the Meadowbrook Park District Stampede, there was a team in Wichita falls by the name of the Wichita District Razorbacks, and they immediately found success by placing winning records, winning 10 out of 11 of their Texas BFL Championship appearances from 1920 to 1939, but once the Playoff Bracket kicked in, they still had their winning reputation upheld. But during the era of World War 2, they only made it as far into the playoffs in the semis or quarterfinals.

But their luck changed from good to even great as 1946 rolled, the Baugh Razorbacks made it to the Texas Backyard Football State Championship, winning by a blowout against the Milton Lions. They lost a Semifinal game in 1950 to their arch rivals, the Luckman Hawks. They've won the Texas BFL State Championship games in 1949, 1953, 1954, 1957, 1965, 1967, 1972, 1975, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1991, 1993, 1994, and 1995.

This season was so far as good as the Bradley Tigers. The star QB, Ronny Dobbs has been having a record shattering season throwing for 100,483 yards, 27 touchdowns, Running back Dante Robinson has rushed for over a thousand yards and 50 touchdowns, and their recievers, Pablo Sanchez and Ernie Steele have recieved for over 90 thousand yards and 49 touchdowns this season.

They've beaten their Backyard Football League opponents, such as the Rhinos of Arlington (49-0), the Mustangs of Houston (35-13), the Trojans of Albilene (15-14), the Spartans of Cedar Hill (59-23), the Skyhawks of El Paso (49-7), the Lions of Irving (63-0), their arch rivals from Dallas, the Luckman Hawks (36-34), they went on to beat the Willis Tomahawks and Howard Cougars in their final inter conference games of the season. In the post season, they beat the Gators of Fort Worth, then after 3 easy playoff games, they finally won the semis against their arch rivals by a blowout.

Their town has a lot of passion about football as much as the town of Meadowbrook do, but the biggest question: Who will win State on Thanksgiving night?