Chapter 19

32 weeks pregnant...

I sat on the couch, stuffing my face in mint chocolate chip ice cream while staring at the screen as Paper Towns played. Caleb was off doing some work papers in the bedroom. I knew I was in no place to complain, but I wish he could spend more time with me so we can experience my pregnancy together. But there was no way we were getting money with the both of us sitting on our asses. Speaking of work, last week I got called in and was told I wasn't able to work on the job anymore. Seeing as I was eight months pregnant, I would understand why. 

"Oh,'' I muttered as my face twisted into a uncomfortable frown. "Slow down there boy. A few more weeks to go." 

I stood up, struggling, to use the bathroom for the hundredth time. Being this far along and pregnancy was a pain in the ass. My feet, back and head always hurt and I had to pee constantly. Caleb helped a lot with rubbing my feet which I was thankful for. 

As I sat on the bathroom toilet a gush of water splurged out of me, causing me to gasp. 

"Caleb!" I yelled, gripping the side of my stomach as a sharp pain hit. "Caleb!"

From upstairs I could hear Caleb running, pounding down the steps then he was in the bathroom door. 

"What's wrong?" He demanded but his eyes widen when he glanced down. My eyes followed his, sharing his same reaction as the increased amount of discharge in my underwear. 

This can't be happening. I can't be in labor! My due date was six weeks away!  

Caleb stood there shocked as my irritation grew. "Call Doctor Emily and tell her were gonna be on our way!"

He scurried out of the room and was back seconds later with his phone in his hand. "She said come as soon as you can. She's concerned."

"Go get me a pair of new underwear and a new pair of clothes please. The hospital bag is under the bed with everything packed." I announced and he wasted no time bringing me my items then ran off again to get the hospital bag. 

I changed into the new pair of underwear, grabbing a pad from under the sink since I was still... leaking. Changed into a pair of leggings and one of Caleb's T-shirts that I've become very fond of. As I got off the toilet another sharp pain hit my stomach. I gripped the counter, clenching my teeth and breathing heavily.

"I'm fine," I whispered to myself, wishing I could believe. But I wasn't! I might be in labor and my baby boy could be born six weeks early. 

I couldn't help but chug half a water bottle once I got into the kitchen where Caleb was waiting for me, bag in hand and car keys, an anxious look on his face. 

"Caleb..." I trailed off knowing we were thinking the same thing.

"It'll be okay." 

He walked past me and out the door, helping me into the car. The ride to the hospital was about fifteen minutes and throughout that time contractions kept hitting me. Caleb kept going on about how it was going to be okay and I was starting to question who was more nervous. 

When we arrived to the hospital, I waddled up to the front test and breathed out. "I need to see Doctor Emily. I might be in labor."

"A nurse will bring you a wheelchair right now and I will call up Doctor Emily." She said and almost immediately calling a nurse over who brought over a wheel chair and sat me down. Caleb held my hand while she wheeled me into the elevator and took us upstairs to the maternity room. 

"How are you feeling?" Caleb asked helping me lay down on the bed and feeling my forehead.

"Oh you know huge, pregnant and scared. Did I mention I might be in labor?" I yelled as another contraction his and I clutched my stomach, tears swelling up. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to yell at you."