Chaper 1

I stare in my mirror, considering the last eight months. I'm now officially fostered by the Yagami family. Enrolled in Light's classes. Taking after school lessons in music, theatre and art. Proud kitty momma to a cute bobtail called Isamu. Selling prints in the school yard.

I still can't comprehend the grey eyes, though. They've been brown my whole life - eyes don't just change colour, not that much and not at my age. I lean in close to the mirror, gazing at the pale orbs reflected within.

"Nyow?"

"Hey, bubba." I mumble, stroking Isamu's ears absentmindedly.

Soon. It'll happen soon. I'm so scared for this, but I can't change it. No matter what happens or who I get close to...

"We'd like to apologize for the interruption. As of now we're bringing you a live worldwide broadcast from Interpol, ICPO."

I whip around, eyes widening. Lind L. Taylor. I missed the start of the story. With a heavy sigh, I scoop Isamu off my desk and sit on my bed to watch.

"I head up an International Police Task Force which includes all member nations. I am Lind L. Taylor, otherwise known as L. Criminals around the world are being murdered by a serial killer. I consider this crime to be the most atrocious act of murder in history. I will not rest until the person or persons responsible are brought to justice. Kira, I will hunt you down. I will find you."

"You're a very good actor, Taylor-san." I murmur, my mouth muffled in Isamu's fur.

"Kira, I've got a pretty good idea what your motivation might be and I can guess what you hope to achieve. However, what you're doing right now is evil."

Taylor lets his lips curl into a smirk. I hear the sound of a drawer jamming a few rooms over - Light.

I could stop this now. Easy. Burn the Death Note and let Light forget it ever existed. But if I try, what would happen? What would he do before I managed to trigger the trap?

Twenty-five, twenty-four...

"Such soft fur." I mumble, trying to distract myself. "You're so gorgeous, Isamu-chan."

Twelve, eleven, ten...

"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens..."

Six, five...

"Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens..."

Two, one...

Taylor grasps his heart, rearing back with a shriek.

"Brown paper packages, tied up with strings. These are a few of my favourite things..." I watch numbly as Taylor is carried off screen. For a few moments, there's nothing but an empty desk with a name slate.

Then the gorgeous, calligraphic L appears on screen.

"Ah, ah, hah... I had to test this, just in case, but I-I never thought it would actually happen. Kira...it seems you can kill people without having to be there in person."

Isamu gives a short mewl, nuzzling his face into my neck. I pet his ears gently.

"I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't just witnessed it. Listen to me, Kira. If you did, indeed, kill Lind L. Taylor, the man who you just saw die on television, I should tell you that he was an inmate whose execution was scheduled for today. That was not me. The police arrested him in absolute secrecy, so you wouldn't have heard of him on TV or through the internet. It appears not even you have access to information about these types of criminals."