Chapter 39

It's easy to forget why I'm here. When Matt's showing Near how to play Mario with Mello giving his usual dry commentary, Touta's chattering animatedly with Misa, and the Shinigami are quiet. Even though they're here, they're so calm that I can easily forget ever not seeing them.

So I decide that L's the only one who needs to know about my nightmares: waking up with tears running down my face, clutching at old bruises. I don't want to ruin this moment.

Misa sits down next to me with a tired smile, resting her head on my shoulder. I place my hand on her swollen belly.

"Ellen's hands are so warm." Misa murmurs.

"I'm a bit of a living heat source." I giggle. "How's the baby?"

"He seems to be doing well."

"Have you thought of any names?"

"I like Hajime, Katsu, Yukio, Masaru... And Sho."

"Those are all lovely names. I have to admit, I like Sho and Yukio the most."

Watari comes into the room, placing two trays on the table. One is piled high with sweets, the other set with seven cups of tea and a bowl of sugar cubes.

"Ryuu's coming up?" I ask.

"Kira is being rather difficult." Watari informs me. "Also, I am sorry to say that we cannot have coffee in this area while Amane-chan is here. We do not wish to trigger any illness."

"Sorry, guys." Misa sighs.

"Aw, don't be!" Touta smiles. "A tiny sacrifice for the sake of your pregnancy is no great loss. Anyway, I can always have a few cups at home!"

"Thanks, Touta-kun."

"Norio-kun, how the hell did you beat my high score?!" Matt exclaims.

"Language, Madoka-kun." I chide. "Alright, you three. Watari-ooji made all of us tea, and that includes you three."

"Thank you, Oojisan." Near murmurs, moving to take a cup of tea. I look up as the door opens once more. L sits down next to me, rubbing his forehead.

"Thank you, Watari," he says as he takes a teacup, adding at least seven sugar cubes before he even tastes it.

"What's wrong?" I ask, stroking L's unruly hair. I've managed to convince him to wash it more frequently, but it is naturally uncontainable.

"Kira is in no way resisting my questioning." L states. "However, he always manages to turn the conversation back to topics I'd rather avoid."

"What do you mean?" Misa probes. L sighs, slumping against me in a tired manner.

"He continues to poke fun at everything he's done to us," the ravenette explains. "His favourite topics are what he did to Ellen, how easily he strung Misa-san along, and how systematically he worked his way through injuring my successors."

"That bastard." Touta grumbles. I stroke L's hair soothingly.

"Hey, do you want me to get your mind off of it?" I ask.

"You have something to speak about?"

"I was just thinking. About that question you asked the day before Yellow Box Warehouse."

L pauses, eyes flickering to the right as he recalls the information. He perks up, turning to face me and clasping my hand. I giggle at how quickly I was able to change his mood.

"What would you say?" L demands. I lift my free hand and touch the chain at his neck. I run my fingers down the silver links, pulling the pendant from his shirt.