Chapter 11

"Kayo-sama, why have you been following me?" I ask. "Or, the Goddess, or Kira or whatever."

"Ryuk," the Shinigami named Kayo answers. "That troublemaker's the one supporting Kira. What's worse is he simply dropped a Death Note that he stole from another Shinigami. He does it out of boredom - ruin lives and destroy the boundaries between our worlds and your own. I want to cut that prick's fun short."

"You said 'worlds', as in, plural." Mello says from his spot next to L, studying the rules of the Death Note.

"Yes. That's something I learned from mother."

"Your mother?" Near queries, much more interested in the mannequin-like Shinigami than the weapon he holds. "Shinigami have mothers?"

"Not in the same sense as humans do." Kayo murmurs. "You see, any human who writes in a Death Note is forever locked out of both Heaven and Hell. Most commonly they become a wandering spirit, such as the malevolent presence that has attached itself to Ellen."

"Hnn. So, Beyond is actually following me." I mutter. Mello and Near both look at me, the blonde emoting clear frustration and rage. I give him a half-smile in an effort to relax him. I've gotten by, although Beyond is probably the source of my lack of grip on my emotions.

"However, in some cases they become Shinigami." Kayo continues. "It's dependant on how they use the Death Note, or in the one you call Beyond's case, the Shinigami eyes. Rem was the one who owned the Death Note I used, the reason I became a Shinigami. So in a sense, she is my mother."

"What do you mean by Shinigami eyes?" L asks.

"A human who can see a Shinigami may make a deal that makes using the Death Note much easier." Kayo explains. "They may trade half of their remaining lifespan in exchange for the ability to see the true names of all humans, as well as their lifespans. The only exception is the lifespans of themselves and other Death Note holders."

"So the second Kira has these eyes." Mello murmurs.

"As did the one you call Beyond. He, however, was born seeing the names and lifespans. I watched him for a while. He chose his victims based on the lifespan remaining, not knowing that he was in fact the one appointed to end them. I believe his mother may have made the deal to curse her son and lessen the time she had remaining with him."

I can feel the rising anger. Beyond is nearby, and he doesn't appreciate Kayo's words.

"It says here that the human who touches the Death Note can recognise the Shinigami who owned it; '... even if the human is not the owner of the Death Note.' What, precisely, does that mean?" L asks.

"All four of you can see me, but only one of you is the owner of the notebook." Kayo states. "That is Ellen."

"I don't want that thing!" I exclaim in disgust. "I am not Kira! It's not my right, nor do I have any interest in killing people!"

"If you give up the Death Note, you will lose your memories of it." Kayo says. "This note is now the property of this world. I cannot take it back; it must go to another human."

"Then let Ryuu take it." I mutter.

"Perhaps it is best that you hold on to it." L murmurs, closing the book. "You have far greater sympathy for people than I."

"Feh. I'm a good fucking actor, aren't I?" I ask snarkily. Brows rise across the room. I pinch the bridge of my nose, sighing heavily.

"I'm not as good as people seem to think I am." I admit. "You, Light, Kira... I'm nowhere near as good as you all think I am. I seem to be the only one who thinks that - maybe that's why you all like me so much. Because I'm not claiming the right to anything."