Chapter 29

Pad, pad, pad, creeeaaaak...

"Can't stop yourself, huh?" I ask. Mello shakes his head, stepping into my room. I sit up, glancing briefly at Yiru before looking back to Mello.

"What's keeping you up?"

"I can just... I feel like we're on the brink of closing this case, but we're also in a lot of danger." Mello mutters, crawling onto the bed next to me.

"I know the feeling." I murmur. "It's keeping me up, too. My meds are failing me."

"Medicine?"

"The most important one is for sleep, the melatonin. But I take others, too."

"Do they... do they do what they're meant to? Are they helpful?"

"Yeah, mostly."

"Hnn... Hey, sestra? Do you think you could get L to go to bed for a change?"

"That would help you sleep?"

"Yeah, and I know you can do it. You just have to bat your eyes and call him 'Ryuu' and he does whatever you want."

"No he doesn't."

"Yeah, he does."

"He does." Yiru echoes. I sigh and rub my forehead.

"Alright. Since you and him both need to sleep, I'll see what I can do. Go back to your room, sweetie."

"Right, but don't call me 'sweetie'."

"That's the first time you've complained about it."

Mello's cheeks turn a little pink as we leave my room. Yiru follows me to the elevator while Mello takes the stairs, most likely attempting to wear himself out a little bit. I head down to the main console room and find L and Mikami sitting at computers, studying news feeds and the like.

"It's one thing to keep yourself up, Ryuu." I state. "It's another thing entirely when you keep everyone else awake. Me, Mello, Teru... We can't function on as little sleep as you, and even you're pushing your limits at this point."

"It was Teru who insisted we remain at work." L tells me.

"That's not the point." I mutter, drawing close. "You both need to sleep."

"As a rule, I stay awake until my body gives out when I'm on a case."

"That's going to come back and hurt you."

"Will you care for me when it does?"

"That's not the point either! You're only human, Ryuu, and you seem to forget that, along with the rest of the world."

L pauses, looking back at me. I fold my arms and scowl at him. He spins in his chair and opens his arms to me.

"Would a hug reassure you?"

"Do not attempt to use your cuteness to win me over this time." I tell him sternly.

"If it worries you, you can always stay with me and, if I fall asleep, simply make me comfortable."

"Please, Ryuu. Listen to me on this one."

"I always listen to you. I very much value your opinion, Ellen-chan. You have proven to be a very valuable resource when it comes to the nature and behaviour of humans."

"We're not doing this right now."

"Kindly elaborate?"

"You're trying to distract me with flattery and cuteness."