Chapter 18

"Alright, I need silence, Mattie." I tell the boy as the phone begins to give a dial tone. He places a finger over his lips and rolls his eyes.

"Hello? May I help you?"

"Is this Yagami Light?"

"Who is this?"

"Please tell Ryuzaki that this is the call he's expecting."

There's a pause, slight mumbling in the background, and then a small pop.

"It's good to hear from you, at last."

"I'm surprised by how well things have gone so far." I say. "The hacker you hooked me up to leaves nothing to be desired in his field."

Matt shoots me a thumbs up.

"We have located the Disciple of Kira. He's a twenty-two year old law student at To-Oh academy; Teru Mikami. We have already made contact."

"You will cease contact immediately and allow us to take over this operation."

"Ryuzaki, I do not see how that will not raise his suspicions."

"Have you heard what the people are calling you now? Anjer."

Angel? I have to bite down a laugh. It seems like I can't get away from the titles of divinity, no matter how I deny it.

"You have taken an insane level of risk to achieve as much as you have. It's only fair that I do as much." I state.

"Ryuzaki, who is this person?" I hear another voice say, much higher in pitch. Maybe Misa, or possibly even Matsuda?

"This is the detective once known as Deneuve." L lies on my behalf. "After a particular series of events that could be considered a battle of wits between myself, Deneuve and Eraldo Coil, this individual elected to work with me on occasion in order to have some right to the title. In a manner kept from me for everyone's safety, Deneuve has become capable of reversing Kira's actions."

Now, that is putting a serious weight on my shoulders.

"I intend to continue my investigation of Teru Mikami. There is a chance he knows something, and a chance he may become a threat. As such, I deem it necessary that I continue my investigation on your behalf. He doesn't suspect that I am of the police - I have convinced him that my brother and I support Kira and that is the reason we sought him out."

"I do not care. You will surrender this operation to me."

"As far as I am aware, I am undertaking this operation on your behalf. You gave the directive; catch Kira at any cost. That is what I am doing for you, L."

Silence on the other end of the line. I rub my forehead.

"Two liquorice pizzas and a red velvet salad."

Contact me privately in ten minutes.

"We've a shortage of vanilla icing, sir."

I don't know if I can.

"Two liquorice pizzas and a black forest pudding."

Stand by for private contact.

"We've a shortage of vanilla icing, sir."

I don't know if I can.

"Clear the order."

Non-negotiable.

"Have a nice day."

Right.

"Is there anything else?" L asks.