Chapter 14

(This chapter contains some rather intense material. It does get kinda triggering for those with sensitivities to exploitation and psychological control. Reader discretion advised. Please do not complain about this chapter's content - such comments will be deleted.)

"The daily things that keep us all busy
Are confusing me
That's when you came to me and said,

"'Wish I could prove I love you,
But does that mean I have to walk on water?'
When we are older you'll understand
It's enough when I say so
And maybe some things are that simple.
" I sing to Mello and Near. After allowing Near to intrude on the end of mine and Mello's roof time, they coaxed me into singing. Near has two of his dolls dancing somewhat in time to my singing, while Mello lays on his back and tries to spot constellations amidst all the light pollution of Tokyo City.

"When you walk away
You don't hear me say,
'Please, oh baby, don't go.'
Simple and clean is the way that you're making me feel tonight
It's hard to let it go

"Hold me, 
Whatever lies beyond this morning is a little later on 
Regardless of warnings -

"TEREBI keshite
Watashi no koto dake o
Miteite yo..."

I did not expect that. All three of us look at the elevator door.

"I really missed hearing you sing." Light admits. "I might not have a superstar voice, but I can keep the rhythm well enough to fill the silence. Still not as good as you, though."

Mello grabs my arm, tugging me back. Light frowns at this.

"Please don't listen to him." Mello whispers to me. "He's not good for you, sis."

I stick out my lower lip and widen my eyes, tilting my head to one side in an exaggerated image of thought. I then tickle Mello's ribcage.

"He-hey-hey!" he shrieks, kicking at me. I giggle, pulling my hands back.

"Well, now I know how to make Niichan into both a shield and a weapon." Near comments idly.

"You are one sadistic little nugget, Norio-chan." I say.

"You two don't mind if I steal Aikurushii for the night, do you?" Light asks, a diplomatic smile painting his features.

"You keep doing that." Mello mutters, grabbing my wrist again. "You keep taking up Neechan's free time. She doesn't take enough time to rest as she is, and you keep monopolizing whatever she doesn't spend working. I wanna spend time with Neechan, too."

"Don't forget, I was convinced Ellen was kidnapped, possibly dead, for almost three months." Light responds. "Compared to that, an hour or a night... I want to spend my time with my girlfriend."

Mello growls faintly, hugging my arm. I pet his hair affectionately as the Russian boy continues to glare at Light.

Time to put my limited knowledge of European languages to use. What was it... малютка?

"It's alright, malyutka." I murmur softly. Mello turns his attention to me, nose scrunched up in displeasure.

"We need to work on your Russian," he tells me bluntly.

"See, this is why I adore you." I giggle. "You're never scared to speak your mind. Everyone tells me I have an issue with it, but it's only ever proven to do positive work for me."