Chapter 33

"The operation is going smoothly." Aiber announces as he waltzes into the main room.

"Wedy-san is an absolute dream of a thief." I smile, pulling my headset back. "We heard every word you guys said. And I'm pretty impressed at your acting skills, too."

"It's a bit concerning that you have to use your real name, though." Touta frowns. "I know that we don't have a choice, since Roku-san has the Eyes, but it's still worrying."

"You worry too much." I tell him, nudging his shoulder. "You're gonna give yourself an ulcer, and it's gonna make you crack under pressure."

"If I recall correctly, me worrying saved your behind." Touta jeers, prodding me with more force than I used. "At Yellow Box Warehouse?"

"Ah, yes, where Matsuda Touta became a legend among men!" I laugh. "The man who discovered conditional Death Note entries! My hero!"

I lean over and hug Touta. He flails as I wrap my arms a little too tightly around his neck. I grin, digging my knuckles into his scalp.

"Hey, hey! This is not how you treat heroes!"

"I express my love through violence!"

"Ryuzaki-san's in for it! Hey, ow!"

I let go of Touta, who falls to the floor as his chair skids out from under him. I hear mad laughter from the stairs and look over to find Mello, Matt, Near and Misa, all doubled over and guffawing uncontrollably.

"You're all rather chipper for a pack of dead men walking." Wedy comments from the next computer over.

"We've all come to a silent agreement." I respond. "If we're dead, we'd better make every second worth it."

Wedy arches a perfectly plucked brow, turning back to her computer. I spin in my chair, stretching my arms above my head.

"Does anyone know where Ryuzaki-san is?" Misa asks.

"I haven't seen him." Touta frowns. "Ellen-chan? Any ideas?"

"One, but it's absolute madness." I say, standing up. "He completely forgot that we have work this morning."

"You're right, it is madness." Matt smirks. "Go find him. If anyone has any hope of it, it's you."

"Am I suddenly everyone's babysitter?" I joke as I head to the elevator. I push the button for L's floor, humming mindlessly as I'm carried up. The doors open into his suite. As usual, the curtains are drawn and all the lights are off.

"Ryuu?" I call as I step into the room. Of course, I don't know that it will work – L is exceptionally good at putting the rest of the world to the back burner. He could easily be absorbed in something...

When I enter the living room, I see him. Coiled upon a plush, baby blue couch, a laptop open in front of him. The light of the screen washes his features in a pale blue glow and, momentarily, I consider taking a photograph so I can draw it later.

"Ryuu?"

"Ellen? Oh, good morning. What are you doing up?"

I roll my eyes, marching to the windows. I pull the curtains back, revealing bright morning sun. I turn and hold my hand out in a 'ta-da' gesture. L hops out of his chair, eyes wider than usual as he hurries to my side.

"How did I lose track of time?" he mumbles angrily, staring up at the sun as if to confirm that it's as high as it looks.

"You're not resting enough, Ryuu."