Chapter 18

Chapter 18

"Almost there", Liam told me as he held my hand and led me down an unkown path. We were at the edge of a forest, when he told me to close my eyes. I was a little leery to allow him to lead me down a path in the woods.

"Are you sure this is safe?", I questioned as I almost tripped on a fallen branch. He tightened his grip on my hand.

"Do you trust me?", he asked. I was tempted to open my eyes and steal a peek at what he was doing, but I didn't.

Instead, I sighed and responded, "I trust you."

He put his other hand on my waist as he continued to guide me along the path.

"Ok, stay here", he advised me.

Following his orders, I remained still and tried to use my other senses, besides sight, to figure out where I was. A bird began chirping off in the distance, and was soon answered by the chirping of it's mate. The simplicity of the nature around me made me smile. Then, a wind blew a gentle breeze, and with it, the scent of the forest. Pine trees. I took deep breath and inhaled all the scents that nature had to offer.

Suddenly, I felt the sudden urge to sneeze. Not being able to contain it, I covered my mouth with my elbow and let out a little sneeze. The problem with my sneezes was that they were one of those high-pitched ones that always annoyed everybody.

A few feet away, I heard Liam laughing. "Bless you", he said to me whilst laughing.

"Are you almost done?", I asked, but it came out sounding a bit more whinier than I intended.

"Someone's a bit impatient", he pointed out.

I shut my mouth and just stood there silently. It gave me a chance to think about the past. I can't believe it took me this long to finally agree to going out with Liam. He changed everything. Why would he still be interested in me?

Suddenly, my thoughts were interrupted when I felt two hands placed on my shoulders. I heard a gentle voice say, "Ready. You can open your eyes."

I opened my eyes slowly and glanced around the area, trying to take in everything I saw. On the ground a few feet away was a blanket. On top of the blanket, laid a picnic basket. As I looked up, I saw lights strung around the low branches of the trees. They were battery powered, but they surely did light up the scene. I glanced back at Liam in awe. "This is amazing", I told him.

"You like it?", he questioned. He was always so unsure of himself.

"Of course I do. It's perfect", I reassured him as I gave him a kiss on the cheek and proceeded to take my spot on the blanket. He grinned, joining me by the picnic basket. "Did you like cook a meal or something?", I inquired.

"Sort of... I brought my favorite food...", he explained as he pulled out a container from the basket. "Chocolate."

I laughed as he opened the container to reveal a petite chocolate cake and a few chocolate scones.

"I'm guessing you like chocolate", I realized as he handed me one of the scones.

He looked me dead into the windows of my soul and said, "I don't just like chocolate. I love it." I broke out into a fit of laughter and took a bite of my scone at an attempt to stop laughing.

He couldn't help but smile, but something about his smile didn't seem right. It was... mischievous. Before I could figure out what he was doing, he had wiped a small glob of chocolate frosting off of the cake and was about to place it on my nose. Luckily, I turned my head just in time before he could place it on my nose. Unfortunately, he placed the frosting on my cheek instead. I frowned at the weird feeling of having frosting on my face.