Chapter 27

I'm sorry the chapters are taking me awhile to write. I had to figure out exactly what I wanted to happen before I wrote.

______________________

Chapter 27

Millie dragged Liam into the middle of the dance floor, and at this point the song had changed to one with a faster tempo. Her arms slinked around his neck, and his hung loosely at her waist. Curse words that I wanted to yell at Millie buzzed through my mind, and I had to stop myself from allowing them to fall from my lips. For the case of not wanting to cause a scene, I knew that letting Liam go was the best option, but part of me wished that he had put up more of a fight.

Not wanting to seem like an outcast, I scanned the area in search of my date, but it was to no avail. In my search though, I spotted Alexis and Mia.

As I was approaching the two girls, Mia whispered something in Alexis' ear. "Just talk to her", I heard Alexis say to Mia before she took off in the opposite direction.

Disturbed by Mia's strange behavior, I questioned Alexis about it. "Why is she mad at me?"

"What do you mean?", she answered, but I could see through her empty façade.

"C'mon. Something is obviously going on, and she has been avoiding me for the past few days."

"It's nothing. Don't worry about it."

"But, it's just, Mia isn't like this. She isn't one to get upset all of a sudden or start ignoring a person without an explanation."

"I know, but trust me. It's not a big deal."

I didn't push the topic any further because I knew that I wasn't going to get a straight forward answer, but the fact that Mia was mad at me still bothered me. Was she really mad at me? Or was there something else going on? Did I do something without realizing it? Was she upset that I rejected Liam's offer to the dance?

Okay, I need to stop overanalyzing and calm down. Alexis is right: I need to stop making such a big deal out of it, and just relax. Even though I promised myself to forget about it, my head still swarmed with unanswered questions.

My confusion was put on hold when I located Chase near the refreshments table conversing with one of his mates. I felt bad for leaving Alexis by herself, but I noticed Mia walking back after I left.

A sudden spark of confidence coursed through my vines as I made my way over to him and hooked my arm through his. He turned around, surprised for a moment, but a warm smile quickly spread across his face. He locked his eyes on mine, and I thought I felt my cheeks begin to blush. Forgetting that he was in the middle of a conversation, his friend cleared his throat to get his attention back.

"Oh, uh, Sophia, this is Alfie. Alfie, this is Sophia", Chase introduced us. The boy next to Chase wore a light blue shirt underneath his suit that seemed to compliment his crystalline blue eyes very well. His smooth blonde hair cascaded over his forehead similar to the way that Liam's now did. I'll admit, he was attractive, but he seemed to have a quiet, somber demeanor.

Thinking that he was going to shake my hand, I stretched out mine to him, but instead I met with embarrassment as he was simply placing his drink on the table. Luckily, only Chase noticed the awkward handshake-diss, but I still felt incredibly embarrassed.

Stifling his laughter, Chase turned to Alfie. "Well, I'll see you later", he told him as he led me away. As soon as we were out of earshot, he let out a laugh that he was trying very hard to contain.

"It was not that funny!", I tried to sound hurt, but I ended up laughing at myself for how stupid I realized I was. "He extended his hand... and I thought he was one of those formal gentlemen who...", I tried to defend myself.